We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott SkyCity Hotel - good for planespotting?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott SkyCity Hotel - good for planespotting?

Will need a one night reservation in Hong Kong after flying in at 22.30, and onwards flight at noon the following day, so SkyCity seems a nice place, with reasonable rates.

Is the view from the rooms, overlooking the runway? Can I see planes land and take off?

This would be an important factor in booking the hotel.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott SkyCity Hotel - good for planespotting?

>> Is the view from the rooms, overlooking the runway? Can I see planes land and take off? <<

I don't think it is very hopeful.

I have not been to Marriott SkyCity Hotel before. But I just did some photo/satellite-images survey (my hobby :) ).

The hotel is like a U shape with the 2 forks split wide open. So there are 6 sections to this hotel facing 6 different directions. Only 1 out of six is facing the North Runway but it is at a 45-degree angle at best.

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott SkyCity Hotel - good for planespotting?

Thanks for that detailed reply. Helped me enormously. I guess I cannot expect to see any planes clearly from my room then. Thiswill make me look elsewhere.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott SkyCity Hotel - good for planespotting?

Club floors at the Regal Airport Hotel have rooms overlooking the runway;

regalhotel.com/Regal-Airport-Hotel/main/ACCO…

There is a viewing deck (Sky Deck) in the Aviation Discovery Centre in Terminal 2 at the airport;

flickr.com/photos/wilwilwilsonsonson/page4/

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott SkyCity Hotel - good for planespotting?

Another place to spot planes is at the west end of the runways, where many go for photo shoots. You can take a taxi there, or bus S52 from Tung Chung to the last stop (Aircraft Maintenance Area).

www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/routeinfo.aspx…

The place is between the two runways, so you get more underside angles than at the Sky Deck.

http://g.co/maps/rpvnw

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott SkyCity Hotel - good for planespotting?

Solenttraveller, that is a fantastic idea. I didn't know about the skydeck. I will have at least a few hours to spare at HKG before my onwards flight to Seoul.

Presumably this skydeck and aviation centre is not free, although I wouldn't mind paying if it's a good price.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott SkyCity Hotel - good for planespotting?

Unfortunately it appears the Aviation Discovery Centre and Skydeck is temporarily closed (no indication of how long for);

hongkongairport.com/eng/…avia.html

Actually, I think Glacierfed had a better idea, taking the S52 bus to the Aircraft Maintenance Area, but I hadn't realised this was a public area. Now I know, I'll probably try this myself.

7. Re: Marriott SkyCity Hotel - good for planespotting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2013, 10:22