We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What benefits will I lose if 3 stars are removed from HKID?

hk
4 posts
Save Topic
What benefits will I lose if 3 stars are removed from HKID?

Hello. I was born in HK but I immigrated to Canada over 30 years ago. I have a Canadian passport, HK ID card and a HK SAR Passport.

I received an invitation for job interview in China. I tried to apply for a Home Return Permit but the officer refused my application because on my HK ID card, there is no Chinese name. (Perhaps she meant no name written in Chinese characters?) She said that China does not allow dual citizenship. As a result, I have to either add a Chinese name (perhaps she meant a name with Chinese characters) on my ID card or visit China using a Canadian passport. In the former case, I have to change the name in other legal documents. It looks complicated.

I tried to apply for a visa using my Canadian passport. This time, the officer said that since I have 3 stars on my HKID card, I have to go to the immigration office to make a declaration. She mentioned about losing the 3 stars first before I could apply for a visa using my Canadian passport.

Anybody knows what is going on? What will happen if I lose 3 stars on my ID card? What benefits and rights will I lose?

I read that if I get into trouble in China, China will not allow the Canadian government to help because by having a Home Return Permit (or perhaps with a HK ID card or Passport), I will be treated as a Chinese citizen by default. Perhaps it is better to go there using a Canadian passport?

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,115 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What benefits will I lose if 3 stars are removed from HKID?

I dont think you will find the answer you want here. But i can tell you many people are in same shoes as you and managed to get the "ideal" solution.

I dont understand though. If you have three stars on HKID....you can get the Return Home card...no questions asked.

is your hkid issued overseas?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What benefits will I lose if 3 stars are removed from HKID?

I guess you mis-understanding the '***' meaning.

'The asterisks indicate that the holder is eligible for a Hong Kong Re-entry Permit: *** for adults aged 18 or above; and * for minors aged between 11 and 17.' (quoted from http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/roa/icsymbol.htm)

At cl#2; personally, the 'Officer' is very tactic that he/she understood your situation and will issue the Document when you fulfill the requirement (with Chinese name). However, you feel 'It looks complicated'.

At cl#3, it is true. Since Chinese Govt. not allow multi-citizenship, so you shall choose waive the Canadian citizenship and apply relative documents.

At cl#4, even you waive HKID, you still have the right to re-apply because of you born in HK before 1997.07.01 (as you stated 'immigrated to Canada over 30 years ago'), but right now, you treat as a Canadian tourist.

Cl#5, yes, it is true.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,723 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What benefits will I lose if 3 stars are removed from HKID?

If you are going to China to interview for a job, your prospective employer should give you an invitation letter so you can apply for a visa to go for the job interview, not a tourist visa. I don't know why you are using the HKID. If you do get the job you'll need a work visa. All of these should be based on your Canadian passport.

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What benefits will I lose if 3 stars are removed from HKID?

You are not telling the whole story here.

Did you enter HK with your Canadian passport instead of your *** HKID card?

If you entered HK using your Canadian passport, then you are a tourist.

Are you of Chinese decent? You do not have a Chinese name on your HK birth certificate?

What travel document did you use to emigrate to Canada? Presumably a BDTC passport. Did you apply to convert to BN(O) prior to July 1, 1997?

If you enter China using the Home Return Permit, you forfeit your right to Canadian Consular assistance and protection in China. If you enter HK using the ***HKID card, you also forfeit your right to Canadian Consular assistance and protection in HK.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
541 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What benefits will I lose if 3 stars are removed from HKID?

Doesn't it behoove you to speak to a knowledgeable immigration attorney?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What benefits will I lose if 3 stars are removed from HKID?

immigration attorney for HK? I don't think such thing exists.

1. Only Chinese Citizen resident in HK/Macau can apply for "return home permit".

2. OP's HKID card does not have a name written in Chinese characters, so no "return home permit" can be issued

3. didn't know you have to show your HKID card to get Chinese Visa. I was never asked.

4. Why would "adding Chinese name" to your HKID card be complicated, or that you'll have to change other legal documents? If it's just name in Chinese characters, it has zero implication on your other legal documents. If it means adding "Tai Man", "Siu Ping" or whatever your "chinese name", well, you are allowed to have more than 1 legal name.

If you make a declaration of change of nationality, you lose right of abode but immediately gain right to land. The only difference is you cannot be deported from HK with right of abode. gov.hk/en/…

Edited: 27 February 2012, 21:03
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What benefits will I lose if 3 stars are removed from HKID?

Clarification: you lose right of abode IF you cannot provide prove of 7 years residence in HK upon declaration of change of nationality. If such proof is provided, you will continue to have right of abode.

hk
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What benefits will I lose if 3 stars are removed from HKID?

>2. OP's HKID card does not have a name written in Chinese characters, so no >"return home permit" can be issued

This seems to be a strange policy. Any explanation?

hk
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What benefits will I lose if 3 stars are removed from HKID?

HKID was issued in HK after I left the city for almost 30 years. When I applied for a return home permit, they asked me to show the HKID. Then, they said that I am not eligible to apply as there is no Chinese name on it. My name is in the format likes: Ruth Chen, Sam Cohen, Simon Lee rather than something like Cha Liang-Yung, Chen Shao-Peng, Chow Gam-Gwong. No Chinese character on the ID card.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 02:01
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,723 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What benefits will I lose if 3 stars are removed from HKID?

As I said, if you are going to China to interview for a job, you need a visa using your Canadian passport. Not the "return home" permit.

Where did you apply for the "return home" permit? In HK?