We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Hong Kong end of June

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manama, Al Manamah...
3 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Hong Kong end of June

I'm contemplating a trip to Hong Kong during the last week or so of June and the only deciding factor left is the weather. I visited the city in November and absolutely loved it and I cannot think of a better place to spend a week in with my wife and son.

I don’t think we will mind the hot/humid weather much as we’ve grown used to Bahrain’s summers but what I am worried about is the rain and whether we’ll be able to visit (and enjoy) Ocean Park and Disneyland during our stay.

Unfortunately the only time I will have to visit will be 20th - 30th of June so I’ll have to go elsewhere if visiting during this period is not recommended.

I would appreciate any feedback/advice you guys can give.

Regards,

Layth

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Hong Kong end of June

At that time of year, heavy rain is possible, but statistically not likely on any given day. Last year, during June 20-30, there were five days with no rain, two days with quite heavy rain, and three days with light to moderate rain. (Data here: weather.gov.hk/cis/data/drf/drf_PLC2011_e.htm )

It's all down to luck. The good news is that it is very unlikely you will have heavy rain EVERY day, so if one day looks bad, you can postpone your trip to Ocean Park for a day or two. For the up-to-the-minute five-day forecast, bookmark this address: http://www.weather.gov.hk/contente.htm

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Hong Kong end of June

I Will be in HK mid May, and I think I am expecting some humid weather, but still warm enough to wear shorts and shirt.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
540 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Hong Kong end of June

The hot weather here is very different from that of the Gulf region. Humidity regularly hovers around 90% even well into the overnight hours. It is very muggy and uncomfortable to be outdoors for prolonged periods of time. The mercury also stays very high after sunset; the night-time low usually doesn't drop below 27C.

Manama, Al Manamah...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Hong Kong end of June

Thanks HK_Observer that was really helpfull.

@ hkg2009hkg - I haven't obviously experienced HK in summer but I wouldn't exactly say it is very different than Bahrain in say July or August when it regularly goes over & above 45c during the day and doesn't normally drop below 35 at night. It might be slighlty less humid here though with averages of 65-80%.

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Hong Kong end of June

Welcome to Tripadvisor and the HK Forums! :)

I was in HK last June (and while I wouldn't do it again - I melt in the heat and humidity!), and we had cloudy/overcast days basically everyday. However, whether it rained or not was a different matter. You definitely want to come prepared with an umbrella, as it can start raining anytime. I found though, that if it did rain, it was usually only for a short while, so, you could still get out and about to see the sights without any issues.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time in HK! :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,079 posts
5,332 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Hong Kong end of June

You might encounter rain the heat during the last week of June is not usually unbearable. Its not an ideal time to visit because of the heat and prospect for rain but its better than visiting in July-September time frame. If you this the only time you can come to HK, then by all means come on over, being from Bahrain, you'lll be fine weather wise.

As HK_Observer points out, it doesn't usually rain hard, every day, all day. Our rains are not like those found in more tropical locations like Singapore, Bangkok, etc. If you are here for a week, I'd be very surprised if you don't find several occasions for a day out at Ocean Park, plus if its cloudy you will have your shade from the sun!

Manama, Al Manamah...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Hong Kong end of June

Thanks for your replies random-sunshine & BradJill.

I've made up my mind I think, Hong Kong here we come :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,079 posts
5,332 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Hong Kong end of June

You'll love it here.

9. Re: Visiting Hong Kong end of June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 09:21