We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too much to do in 3 nights?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Too much to do in 3 nights?

I actually only have my first afternoon/evening and then 2 full days.

I want to do the following:

Nathan Road

Kowloon

Tsim Sha Tsui

Victoria Harbour

Victoria Peak

Lantau Island

Hong Kong Disneyland

Nan Lian Garden

IFC Tower

Causeway Bay

Mongkok

Bird Street

Ocean Park

Repulse Bay

Silvermine Beach

Some of these are in the same areas (such as 3 of them on Lantau), so if I planned accordingly, could I fit all this in?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too much to do in 3 nights?

Clacker 2011,

DisneyLand will take 3 quarter day,

Ocean Park at least half a day.

The rest how to fit in ?

Best you trim down and suggest for advise .

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too much to do in 3 nights?

Hello Clackers,

My initial thought is no, unless you have a cape and a big red 'S' on your chest for Superman, you cannot. You could easily fill one entire day with Disney, and the better part of the next with Ocean Park, leaving you very little time to do the rest.

To follow up on that thought...

We get posts similar to this often. It really is very hard to say what you could fit in. It depends on many factors.

If I may ask, are you fit with heaps of energy, or older like me and need a rest now and then?

Travelling solo, or with a small group?

How hard do you want to push it -- from dawn to 11 PM, or something slower paced ?

Here's my suggestion:

First troll the FAQ section so expertly organized by DE Supreme BradJill,

Get your hands on a decent map of the Hong Kong SAR. Figure out where these places are located, and basically in what order you might like to do them in.

Figure out approximately how long you might like to spend on each, and more specifically, which ones you don't want to miss.

Sketch out a basic plan, and post that here.

We will then be in a much better position to offer you advice.

I hope this helps a tiny bit, and please stop back when we can be of further assistance.

Have a great day,

Steve in the USA

Edited: 30 March 2012, 15:06
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,924 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too much to do in 3 nights?

What do you want to see on Lantau Island apart from Silvermine Bay & Disneyland? If you want to see the Tian Tan (big Buddha) you can take the ferry from Central to Mui Wo, bus to Ngong Ping, bus to Tung Chung, train to Disneyland..... So with an early start you could fit in both in one day.

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too much to do in 3 nights?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

HK Disneyland, and Ocean Park are just something I want to tick off, but not only are they expensive but they are also time-consuming. I am willing to omit them from my itinery.

I am travelling solo. I just like to experience different culture, and like to take videos and photos, these will be my memories later in life, so they are important to me.

In Lantau Island, there is the Big Buddha and Silvermine Beach. It would be nice to spend a lunchtime there, at least (if I did Disneyland as well it would be half-day for sure).

I am staying in Mongkok (Langham Place) so I can do the sights and sounds of Mongkok and the Bird Market as soon as I arrive to check in. Maybe also go straight to the IFC tower skyscraper.

On day 2, I would like to do Kowloon, Tsim Sha Tsui and Nathan Road in the AM, and Victoria Peak/Harbour in the PM (from here watch symphony of lights).

On day 3 I could do Lantau Island, and still hope to fit in Nan Lian Garden and Repulse Bay, before heading to Causeway Bay for the nighttime.

Any thoughts?

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too much to do in 3 nights?

Hi again Clackers,

HOPEFULLY I am not going to confuse things..................

I think your plan is starting to come together. If you omit Disney and OP, that will be a HUGE savings in time and energy.

Perhaps the day you arrive, you could concentrate on the general Kowloon area. You could do the Kowloon / Mong Kok things on your list -- and perhaps fit in Nan Lian Gardens as this is in this general area. Nan Lian is open until 9 PM I believe, and is very nice in the evening.

Your second day, maybe finish up any Kowloon items, then head over to Hong Kong Island to do the Peak, go to IFC Tower, ride the Ding Ding trams, things right in that area. Perhaps also Stanley and Repulse Bay as they both are on HK Island I believe.

Your last day, you could do Lantau Island, Mui Wo, Silvermine Beach, and spend some time up at Big Buddah and Po Lin Monastery.

I am not sure of the status of the Tung Chung / Ngong Ping Cable Cars if that is something you want to do.

I know they were doing maintenance on same, and am sure others will know if this is finished.

As before, hope this helps, and please stop back with more questions.

Steve in the USA

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,049 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too much to do in 3 nights?

>>>>I am staying in Mongkok (Langham Place) so I can do the sights and sounds of Mongkok and the Bird Market as soon as I arrive to check in. Maybe also go straight to the IFC tower skyscraper.<<<<

This may be possible as the Mongkok Markets are most active and enjoyable in the early-mid afternoon anyway! The Ladies (night) market is well.... best seen at night so if you arrive in the afternoon, you can probably run through most of the Mongkok Market scene and get quite a few tick-in-the-boxes and enjoy yourself quite a lot in the meantime. Here is a Mongkok Market travel list with a suggested path to take, allowing you to see all the markets. Depending on what time you arrive, you may need to cut back on the amount of time you spend at each.

Mongkok Markets

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24685-Mongkok_…

If you are not exhausted, I'd head down to TST and Victoria Harbor after the Mongkok markets see the HK skyline and harbor at night, perhaps take a ferry ride or have a look from Ozone Bar (Ritz) or Aqua Bar. Or you could head up to the Peak for an equal (if not better) night harbor view. All these suggestions can be found in this Vic Harbor travel list (reviews w/pictures)

Best of Victoria Harbour

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i27892-The_Best…

Have a nice time in HK.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too much to do in 3 nights?

yes, it is getting into shape now .

happy tour .

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,684 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too much to do in 3 nights?

It sounds like the sort of itinary people plan for New York to be honest, dashing about for hours & hours without giving yourself a chance to actually take it all in.

Its sightseeing but on fast-forward speed, rather than being enjoyable. Can you not spend a few extra days in Hong Kong & take things at a more leisurely pace, seeing everything you want to see ?

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too much to do in 3 nights?

Jaynenewcastle, NoI am afriad not, my itinery is booked in terms of flights and hotels. I can only spare 3 nights in Hong Kong.

I am spending 4 nights in Singapore, 4 nights Bangkok, 3 nights Kuala Lumpur, 3 nights Taipei, 3 nights Hong Kong, and 3 nights Shanghai.

So as you can see, my preferred mode of tourism is simply to experience as much as possible. I do not like resting, that's what beach resprts are for.

New York State
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Too much to do in 3 nights?

You are a kindred spirit! My husband and I travel the same way. This fall we're doing Bangkok, Phuket, Beijing, and Hong Kong. Minus Disney & Ocean Park, I have the same itinerary planned, and the same amount of time. If you go before us, please let me know if it's possible to do it all in 3 days, and/or what you would recommend seeing. (looking for culture, nightlife, and authentic shopping - no malls). Thanks - enjoy your trip!!!