We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of cigarettes in Hong Kong & Duty Free

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
858 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of cigarettes in Hong Kong & Duty Free

We are going to Hong Kong in 3 weeks time and would like to know the cost of an average packet of cigarettes there.

Also, are they cheapest in Macau? What would the cost of them be there?

We would like to bring a carton each back to the UK. So, is it cheaper to buy a carton in Macau or at th duty free airport?

Also, our flight is at 1.45AM, so would the duty free shop be open at around midnight?

c
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of cigarettes in Hong Kong & Duty Free

The cheapest place to buy cigarettes is actually in CHINA , or to be more precise, in the Chinese duty free just before entering china .

The absolute cheapest one is in GongBei (Macau-Zhuhai crossing) where a 10box carton of Marlboro will cost you 120HKD (about 15 USD) Kent or camel for example will be 98HKD

Those prices also varies by location, in LouWu crossing (Hk-Shenzen) a 10 pack Marlboro box will cost you 140 hkd (18 USD circa)

At any rate - the cigarettes are not cheaper in MACAU and are not cheap in Hong Kong...

If you already go to macau - just cross the border to china, buy 4-5 cartoons , and go back. if you do that not in rush ours , and not on weekend - it will not be more than 20-30 minutes trip. if you are a heavy smoker - the savings will worth the time.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,057 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of cigarettes in Hong Kong & Duty Free

Note the duty-free cigarette allowance for Hong Kong is just 19 cigarettes. If you buy in Macau and are re-entering HK before returning to the UK, duty is due on each cigarette (individual stick) above this amount.

c
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of cigarettes in Hong Kong & Duty Free

SolentTraveller Is absolutely right - I forgot to mention it , mainly because I usually buy them when going back to china .

Although controls are rare - HK changed it´s cigarettes allowance about a year ago or so - to less than one pack, or actually ONE open pack.. so be advised.

Also Macau had some change regarding smoking policies - but I am not sure if it is including also import policy . by the amount of cartons that one can see bought on the way to macau - I would think not . but worth checking.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 12:06
Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of cigarettes in Hong Kong & Duty Free

We found a carton of cigarettes was cheaper duty free at the Macau airport as compared to Hong Kong. I don't remember there being a huge choice though. It is a small airport and we noticed that not everything is open, even in the early evening.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 13:33
Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
858 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of cigarettes in Hong Kong & Duty Free

Thanks for your response. Im a bit confused though. I will only be going to Macau for a day then back. I thought that this is done by ferry from HK Island, so how could I access the duty free at Macau airport?

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
858 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of cigarettes in Hong Kong & Duty Free

Can anyone tell me what the price of a packet of cigarettes is in a normal shop on HK island/Kowloon?

Can anyone tell me what the price of a carton of cigarettes is at the airport?

Can anyone tell me if the airport now has stock of Marlboro, seeing as a post a few months back here stated that they had no Marlboro there.

Thanks

hong kong
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of cigarettes in Hong Kong & Duty Free

Paid HK53 at the 7/11 today (Davidoff). Other brands price may be less, or more.

Cartons (200 cigs) at HK airport are generally in the range of HK140, give or take, depending on brand.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of cigarettes in Hong Kong & Duty Free

HK$50 for Marlboro in Hong Kong. HK$155 for a carton at the airport and slightly more expensive at POEs to China (I think it's about HK$180 a carlton)

9. Re: Cost of cigarettes in Hong Kong & Duty Free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 April 2012, 03:59
Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
858 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of cigarettes in Hong Kong & Duty Free

Thanks for your concern but I don't smoke.