We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with organising a 7 day Itinerary

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
858 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Help with organising a 7 day Itinerary

Hi

I realise that this question has been asked many, many times before. I am spending many hours going through the forum & gathering bits of info here & there but I seem to be overwhelmed, and dont feel in my mind that the pieces of the puzzle have come together yet.

My partner & I are going to HK from 5th May (arriving 10pm) to 13th May (dep 01.25), so we will be there for 1 full week, staying at the Ibis in Northpoint, HK Island.

We would like to cover as much ground as possible during that time, so see as much as possible. We do not plan to do much in the way of shopping but would still like to visit the markets and Causeway Bay etc to experience them.

We will not do Disneyland nor Dialogue in the Dark or HappyValley Racecourse.

So far I have 1 day covered for Oceanworld and 1 day for Macau Day Trip (avoiding weekend for both). We will need to set aside 1 day for Lantau Island. Will this take up the majority of the day, or will we be able to do something else after coming back from Lantau?

There are so many other places we would like to see, but dont know how to combine them to maximise time.

Any thoughts/advice/suggestions would be very gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,151 posts
5,406 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with organising a 7 day Itinerary

For Lantau you can invest a 1/2 to 3/4 day and have your fill. Ngong Ping 360, Big Buddha, Po Lin Monastary, Tai O, Citygate Shopping centre will keep you quite busy... Check out past posts on Lantau, using the Search Box for thoughts on how best to tackle a Lantau day trip.

As for the rest of your time, have a look at the following travel trip lists. Keep your schedule flexible and just plan our your activities as you like.

Hong Kong Attractions

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23948-What_to_…

Best of Victoria Harbour

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i27892-The_Best…

Mongkok Markets

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24685-Mongkok_…

Temples and Monasteries

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i25656-Hong_Kon…

Macau Day Trip

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i26979-Macau_Da…

Sha Tin Day Trip

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24058-A_Day_in…

Hong Kong with kiddies

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i26165-Hong_Kon…

Hope this is helpful.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,017 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with organising a 7 day Itinerary

I would suggest you to visit Macau for at least 2 nights. For experience a night in Shenzhen markets would also be worth while, IN CASE you are not visiting this part of the world again, in near future.

You can make a 7 day itinerary once you make out places to visit and not-to-miss attractions. The places will also depend on your personal liking's

NOT-TO-MISS-PLACES. .

HONG KONG.

Sym of Lights

Ocean Park

Ngong Ping360

Museum of Science

Museum of History

The Peak

Ladies Market

Temple Street Night Market

Jade market

APPLE STORE @ IFC mall

MACAU

House of Dancing Water (dont miss)

Venetian

Senedo Square

Guia Fort

Macau Tower

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,151 posts
5,406 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with organising a 7 day Itinerary

>>>>APPLE STORE @ IFC mall<<<<

sanjeev_abhish, LOL...

Is this really a must-see attraction? You must have had a good time there. ;-)

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with organising a 7 day Itinerary

It depends on exactly what you plan to see/do on Lantau Island. If you are simply going to take a ride on the Ngong Ping Cable Car up to see the Giant Buddha and Po Lin Monastery, then, that'll take you maybe a few hours. However, if you add on Tai O: discoverhongkong.com/eng/attractions/outlyin… then that'll be a good part of the day, and if you add in Mui Wo: discoverhongkong.com/eng/attractions/outlyin… as well, then, that'll be a full day.

I think a visit to Chi Lin Nunnery and Nan Lian Gardens might be a good idea, and one MTR stop over is Wong Tai Sin Temple. A visit to the Peak (choose a day or night with the clearest skies, so, you can get the best views) would be a definite must, and I recommend taking a ride at least on the journey up to the Peak. As the Peak Tower/Sky Terrace is open til 11PM and the Peak Tram runs until midnight, you can basically chuck the Peak to any day/night you like - It just depends on whether you want a day or night view.

You might like to check out the outer islands for a completely different view of HK like Cheung Chau Island or Lamma Island.

See HK Extras: http://www.hongkongextras.com/ for tons of great information about various sights/attractions, transport advice on how to get to various places, photos, etc. It really is a fantastic source of information.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time in HK! :)

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
858 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with organising a 7 day Itinerary

See, one week is deffo not enough time to see Hong Kong properly :(

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with organising a 7 day Itinerary

I actually think one week is a good amount of time to see HK (having said that, of course, you can stay there for weeks on end and still have plenty of other places to explore!), as you'll get an opportunity to see more than what's on the typical tourist "must-sees" lists. I guess, it also depends on your style of travelling - I was in HK once for 5 weeks, and didn't get to see half of what most tourists get up to in a few days (but then again, I wasn't really in tourist mode!).

HK is not so big that you'll find it difficult to navigate, but, certainly consider dividing up the sights/attractions that you want to see into specific areas (e.g. group those on HK Island together, same with Kowloon, and so forth with the rest). Of course, you may not actually have time to get everything done that's on HK Island, so, you can easily split and save that for other days.

If you whip up a rough itinerary with your sights/attractions on it, I'm sure everyone can help you refine the itinerary, and also offer transport tips, etc.

Good luck with your planning and have an AMAZING trip! :)

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
858 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with organising a 7 day Itinerary

Thank you :)

Yeah, at the moment I am trying to work out where I can group several attractions together to maximise time. There is just so much to do in HK!

Chennai (Madras...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with organising a 7 day Itinerary

Hi,

I'm niresh from India, planning to visit hong kong with my friends on 21st June 2013 , will be leaving on 28th June 2013, i'll be staying there for seven days, what would be the perfect itenary. should be a mixture of both tourism and night life.

thank you!

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
787 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with organising a 7 day Itinerary

Hi there

I spent 1 day in Lantau Island during my last visit. I visited the Big Buddha followed by vegetarian lunch at Po Lin Monastery. After Big Buddha, I took the bus from Ngong Ping Village to Tai-O Fishing Village which is also located in Lantau Island.

Other suggestions on how to spend the day :

1. Walking Tour of Central & Sheung Wan. For more information of this walk, go to discoverhongkong.com/eng/see-do/tours-walks/…

2. Cheung Chau island

3. Nan Lian Garden & Chi Lin Nunnery, Wong Tai Sin Temple & Kowloon Walled City Park. You can then visit the markets in Mongkok & Yau Ma Tei (Ladies Market, Fa Yuen Street, Temple Street Night Market)

4. Mid Level Escalator, The Peak, Stanley Market

Other options are the Lung Yeuk Tau Heritage Trail or Ping Shan Heritage Trail to see the walled village

10. Re: Help with organising a 7 day Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 05:15