We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dilemma, help help

manila
Level Contributor
177 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Dilemma, help help

Is there a resting place for transit passengers in the airport.? My original Cathay Pacific travel schedule was to leave Kansai Osaka 6:30 pm & arrive at HK 9:30pm to catch my connecting 10:30pm flight to Manila. But cx move their 10:30 pm flight to 10 pm. And they advice me my next flight out iis apx 9:00 am the next day and i could never make it to the 10pm flight : ( This put me in a quandary where to park myself in the next 12 hours, Is it still worth the effort to check in a hotel in Kowloon and catch the 6 am city flyer bus back to Hkta, my shut eye will be 5 hours and most probably it could hardly be a straight sleep bec for sure I will keep on waking up to check the time. Help help destination experts . Thanks in advance

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dilemma, help help

There are pay-in lounges for passengers but I don't think it's a good idea to hang out in there for 12 hours especially there aren't any beds for sleeping, just sofas and lounge chairs. Why don't you try one of the airport hotels? There are 3 hotels near to the airport: Regal Airport, Novotel Citygate and Marriott SkyCity. They are all a short taxi ride away if not within walking distance from the airport and more comfy than airport lounges.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
541 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dilemma, help help

agree with dinomandy...if you opt to get some rest I would prefer the hotel option...otherwise...if you can't get any sleep...why not head to LKF and enjoy the nightlife...

manila
Level Contributor
177 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dilemma, help help

Thank you for your advices HK 2 Fan and Dinomandy : )

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dilemma, help help

You're welcome! :-) Have a great trip!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dilemma, help help

Hi, Is CX kidding you..now you have to lug your luggage around,which otherwise would have been tagged thru,and you have to fork out expenses for food/drink(and also for morning rinse- brush teeth- toothpaste/brush, mouth wash-all these in your checked luggage-LAG restrictions (if they after all did a tag thru on the following morning flight) and most possibly also accommodation.

I bet you if you are their first class or business class...they will apologise and say >>do not worry, our ground personnel will greet you as you get out of plane,and the golf buggy will take you to the boarding gate..actually, even if you are on economy, they can still do it..move you to the front before the landing gears are engaged,and with golf buggy can still do it.

I think they are trying to save that HKD200+ on the golf buggy that HKAA charges.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,953 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dilemma, help help

I agree. I would complain bitterly to Cathay management. It's not your fault and not an "act of God".

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,104 posts
2,069 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dilemma, help help

The other point is that Cathay is not a low cost airline but an established 'legacy' carrier.

You should press it to accommodate you overnight at an airport hotel in HKG. This is standard practice for most legacy airlines. The airline pays a heavily discounted rate for rooms.

it's not your fault that the airline has changed its timetable!

Get onto their reservations as soon as possibloe: don't be rude, but be very persistent.

Edited: 29 April 2012, 11:42
manila
Level Contributor
177 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dilemma, help help

Thanks for your advice, everything was well plannned out , then suddenly the Cathay people call to inform me that they move the connecting flight half an hour earlier, while daze I ask them to put me on the next flight out which was the next day apxm 7 am, I complain too early, then they offer me the 9 am flight, thinking I will not too be groggy then from sleep, I agree, I forgot that I have to be in the airport 2 hours before flight time, so i still have to get up early,, I will try to complain and see if I can improve my lot. Cross fingers : ) all made my booking way back in August 2011, they call me about the change in flight in January 2012, my trip to Japan is end of May 2012, it is just now that I sat down to to make my itinenary that I realized I have to be be in limbo for 10 hours for my connecting flight back home : ( Thanks again for showing me an another alternative, hope it will work out and I shall report to you guys how it turned out.

9. Re: Dilemma, help help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:41