We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just landed in Hong Kong...need help with camera purchase

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
just landed in Hong Kong...need help with camera purchase

Here on honeymoon and our camera went missing when we were sleeping on plane. unreal. Anyone know a good store or area that sells electronics...cameras prepherably?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just landed in Hong Kong...need help with camera purchase

Try Fortress or Broadway, they have branches all around. Just discussed recently,

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k467…

Just try to avoid those on Nathan Road.

Mentioned in this post
Nathan Road
Nathan Road
1,900 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just landed in Hong Kong...need help with camera purchase

Before you commit, just make sure that the warranty for that particular brand is international. For example, Canon Singapore will not honour the warranty of a Canon camera bought in Hong Kong or elsewhere. A friend of mine learnt it the hard way.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just landed in Hong Kong...need help with camera purchase

Read the where not to buy FAQ. Be aware even so called international guarentees might not be so good. I wouldn't buy something too expensive.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just landed in Hong Kong...need help with camera purchase

If you do a search, you can find tons of threads about where to buy cameras. In general, chain stores are the most reliable and honest. Individual shops with large tax-free signs or big brand name signs are frequently not.

Recently there have been reports about thieves on planes fishing out other people's belongings. Some have been caught on flights to and from Hong Kong.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just landed in Hong Kong...need help with camera purchase

Thanks for the replys. Looking around to see what comes up, but the warranties for the camera we wanted are only in Hong Kong so we may go cheap just to resolve while here. Sucks.

Mentioned in this post
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just landed in Hong Kong...need help with camera purchase

Get a Canon. Their cheap models are still better than the competition.

Don't worry so much about the warranty because cameras and other electronics rarely break down within a year.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 07:26
Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: just landed in Hong Kong...need help with camera purchase

Some shops parallel import (I assume via China) and are cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
109 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just landed in Hong Kong...need help with camera purchase

In Times Square, there are several floors just dedicated to electronic stores. You can try those. They always try to compete with each other by giving you extra goodies with your purchases.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
781 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: just landed in Hong Kong...need help with camera purchase

Shoulda just walked around the plane and pinched someone elses! Can't believe someone took yours while you were sleeping........

I agree with Justin, usually I don't worry too much about the warrenty as it is rare that it breaks down within the year (unless you dont look after it!) and if it does, I've usually found that in HK they'll have loopholes like humidity damage etc which means the warranty is void.

Just make sure you buy it somewhere reliable like Fortress or Broadway as other people have posted... Times Square has a whole floor for electronic stores like Vanessa said and they should all be pretty reliable.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
781 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
10. Re: just landed in Hong Kong...need help with camera purchase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:16