We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where else to go on honeymoon - have 2 weeks?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
brum
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where else to go on honeymoon - have 2 weeks?

Hi, I am thinking of going to Hong Kong for my honeymoon.

We have approximately 13/14 days (16th Dec til either 29th/30th Dec).

I was thinking of doing a trip to somewhere else in the far east - but I'm finding it quite hard to decide where to go. I've had suggestions to visit Macau, Beijing, and even Singapore.

Which of those would you recommend? How long would you recommend in HK and elsewhere? How expensive is it to visit these places?

We like a variety of things - so not necessarily looking for just activities/sights/secluded beaches.

Thanks for your help.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where else to go on honeymoon - have 2 weeks?

2 weeks is quite a long time for Hong Kong alone. You can do Macau and Hong Kong together. Macau itself is too small for another week's stay. Hong Kong plus Macau, you can do 8 days (6 in HK and 2 in Macau).

Beijing would be too cold for a December trip. It is uncomfortable. Shanghai too. For beaches, you may want to look at a few places in Thailand, The Phillipines, Vietname, Malaysia. Hong Kong is a big city, not a beach destination.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,144 posts
5,402 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where else to go on honeymoon - have 2 weeks?

I would consider 5-6 nights in Hong Kong, 2-3 nights in Macau, combined spend 8-9 nights (HK/Macau) then spend 3-4 nights at a third location. Here are some typical options traveling from HK to the rest of SE Asia

A.) Singapore - Popular choice, somewhat similar to HK but has its differences.

B.) Bangkok - Excellent choice for culture and food (and cheap shopping)

C.) Phuket (or Ko Phi Phi), Thailand - Very good beach option but a bit more travel time

D.) Kota Kinnabalu - Excellent Shangri-la hotels, beaches, orangutans

E.) Boracay, Philippines - Similar to Ko Phi Phi in Thailand. Do recommend spending one night in Manila (Makati area) if you opt for the Philippines. This is a highly underrated place to visit in Asia. Its very nice there.

F.) Tokyo - Hey, its Japan. Expensive but why not?

G.) Bali - Great beach and culture but a bit far away

Hope this is helpful.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where else to go on honeymoon - have 2 weeks?

Hi, also look at DaNang- believe Cathay Pacific has resume flights from Hong Kong to this lovely destination- lovely beaches and few UNESCO heritage sites- MySon, HoiAn, Hue.

And also Taiwan-though cold, but manageable,and lovely hot springs resort over there.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where else to go on honeymoon - have 2 weeks?

Check out Shangrila Boracay or El Nido Resorts in Palawan.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
30 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where else to go on honeymoon - have 2 weeks?

Thailand definitely! Hit up Krabi - it's gorgeous and much less ridiculous than Phuket :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
309 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where else to go on honeymoon - have 2 weeks?

I would suggest Philippines islands. It is hidden gem of Asia.

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where else to go on honeymoon - have 2 weeks?

HOng Kong is an interesting city, but I think the max nights you need is 4. It isn't like London or Paris with lots of historical and cultural sights. I love Bali, can't get more romantic than that. My husband and I went there pre-marriage and it was magical. Not sure what the weather is like in December, but if you are already on that side of the world might as well go for it.Or head down to Oz, it's in the same time zone. Plenty to do there.

8. Re: Where else to go on honeymoon - have 2 weeks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2013, 10:17