We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

return flight required?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
return flight required?

I'm in Taiwan now and plan to fly to Hong Kong in a few days. When I board the plane that departs to HK, will the airline employees most likely check if I have a return flight ticket out of HK?

I traveled to China a month ago and still have the visa with me. Would showing them my visa be enough to lie to them that I plan to take the train or ferry to China and hence don't need to show a return ticket?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: return flight required?

Your China Visa does not help much as Hong Kong has a separate immigration policy to that of China Mainland.

The airline employee may not check,but the HK immigration may check and enquire.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,035 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: return flight required?

The airlines are required to check that you are legally able to enter HK. This will depend on your passport.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: return flight required?

I have a US passport

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,175 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: return flight required?

I would never recommend not telling the truth to an immigration or customs official.

Sometimes they check for a return ticket, sometimes they don't. Just tell the truth and proceed.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: return flight required?

Airline employees might ask you for either a return or an onward ticket, but my experience in Taiwan is that they don't want to stretch their English skills that far ;-)

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,517 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: return flight required?

Airline employees will check to see if you have the proper document to enter the country you are flying to. Since you don't need a visa to enter Hong Kong with your US passport, there is no problem. When you are entering HK with your US passport, the immigration officer will ask you what is the purpose of your visit and how long do you intend to stay in HK and where will you be staying while you are in HK. The officer may or may not ask you if you have a return ticket.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: return flight required?

I cannot see that as a big issue. US passport holder can visit Hong Kong visa free for 90 days. There are many people going around the world these days. Going from one place and onward to another and then another is not uncommon. I can't imagine those world travellers would need to purchase round trip tickets to everywhere they go.

Visiting the Mainland China is much easier than 2 to 3 decades ago. As a US passport holder, you do need to hold a valid China visa to visit.

Note: quote

You should obtain all required visas prior to departing the United States. Specifically, if you wish to travel to the PRC from Hong Kong, you will need a PRC visa and should apply at the PRC embassy or consulate where you reside.

end-quote

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1136.html

There is no need to lie. Be honest to the immigration officiers of your intention (it is not clear to me if your intent is really going into China via Hong Kong, or go onward to another destination after Hong Kong). If you have a valid China visa to visit China again, no issue. If not, then you may need to depart Hong Kong in 90 days.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: return flight required?

What do you plan to do after you are in Hong Kong?

Airlines may not let you check in if you don't have a return ticket. I know people this has happened to. Just because you can enter Hong Kong visa-free for 90 days, does not mean they will let you on their plane.

Every time I flew out of Taiwan, they checked to see I had a current visa that allowed me to live in Hong Kong. I think the chances are high that you will be questioned.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: return flight required?

HK71 and I must have different *suspicious* looks :-) I've never been questioned about future travel on my way out of Taiwan, but have been put through the 3rd degree flying out of Sydney!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,902 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: return flight required?

In theory, when you appear before the immigration officer and apply for entry to Hong Kong, you are supposed to have proof of onward/return travel. However, in today's open travel climate, many many many people depart HK overland to the PRC. I think a valid China visa is a very good piece of evidence, and you could easily tell the immigration officer you are planning to depart overland. End of discussion.

However, as several previous posters have pointed out, some airlines have persnickety clerks, who could give you a hard time. Chances of this are low, but not nonexistent.