We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shatin or Kowloon Bay?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Shatin or Kowloon Bay?

Will be going again to Hong Kong for a quick 2 day break end of August. Main objective of my trip actually is to purchase some items from Ikea - either Shatin or Kowloon Bay. I've visited Hong Kong plenty of times, explored the usual tourist sights, but other than that I have always limited myself to Tsimshatsui or Causeway Bay area and hotels, except for few recent visits where I chose to stay in Lantau (Novotel Citygate).

Haven't been to these two locations (Shatin and Kowloon Bay), as for Ikea, I've only visited the one below Park Lane Hotel, so planning on checking out any of these two other branches. Aside from Ikea, planning on doing a quick shopping trip to Cotton On, H&M, and Uniqlo. Still checking out websites and figuring out which is more ideal considering the shops I'm going to, hoping there's one where I can see them all nearby.

If Shatin, which hotels are recommended? Checked out Regal, Hyatt, which look like far from New Town Plaza, am I correct? There might be better hotels in terms of proximity to Ikea.

Same thing in case if Kowloon Bay...

I'd like to stress that I haven't been to these two parts of Hong Kong which is why I'd like to explore them on the side....

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shatin or Kowloon Bay?

Not sure on hotels but Ikea in Shatin and Kowloon Bay is defintely bigger!

2. Re: Shatin or Kowloon Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 12:28
Edited: 10 October 2012, 12:28
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shatin or Kowloon Bay?

I think Shatin suits your need better and for convenience you may wish to consider the Royal Park Hotel, just above the New Town Plaza which in turn is just 5 minutes walk from Ikea.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,241 posts
5,491 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shatin or Kowloon Bay?

Also suggest Sha Tin for the reasons suggested above. Have a look at this travel trip list for attractions in Sha Tin as well. It is an all too often, overlooked area to visit in Hong Kong.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24058-A_Day_in…

Have a nice trip to Hong Kong and enjoy those Swedish meatballs at IKEA.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shatin or Kowloon Bay?

haha..Swedish meatballs at IKEA--my favourite,even do run away(takeaway) and at home, I warm it again with douse of Akvavit(AquaVit).

IKEA-- my entire furniture in my little flat in Melbourne from IKEA,except my precious- bedding mattress from Sealy- so much cheaper over here than the one I bought in HK.

Yep, Shatin will be better.HomeSquare(where IKEA is-Level 6)) is a mecca of household products.

Normally with a group of friends, we drive to Shatin on Friday evening, go for roast pigeon, put up two nights in Hyatt, following day,spent an entire day in Homesquare, buying the lot, then back to HK island on Sunday after breakfast in Shatin Hakka village (Tsang Tai Uk ).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,326 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shatin or Kowloon Bay?

Hyatt at Shatin is the nicest hotel in the area. The University Station is no more than a 3-minute walk on-foot. The slight drawback is there is really nothing in the immediate area. Whatever you do (eat, shop, etc), you will have to take the train for sure.

Shatin is better than Kowloon Bay though as an area.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shatin or Kowloon Bay?

Royal Park Hotel is connected to New Town Plaza, where you can find H&M and Uniqlo. IKEA Sha Tin is an extra few minutes walk away at HomeSquare.

But yes, the Hyatt is nicer (although it requires an additional train ride to Sha Tin centre).

8. Re: Shatin or Kowloon Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 04:18