We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stanley Market

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Topic
Stanley Market

Hi

Can anyone advise... is it worth visiting Stanley market? Things like clothing, food, etc... cheaper or more expensive as compare to Mong Kok? What is the est. travelling time from Mong Kok to Stanley Market?

Thanks so much.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,256 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stanley Market

Stanley is not a cheap market. It might have some nicer stuff. I wouldn't go to Stanley just for the market. Stanley itself offers a nice and relaxing waterfront area with decent shops and cafes.

Singapore
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stanley Market

I also thought of visiting Stanley Market, seems interesting after I caught glimpses of it in the show : Hippocratic Crush..haha

However, it's quite out of the way from the main shopping and tourist belt. Is it do-able if we try to squeeze a trip to Stanley after a day in the Ocean Park ?

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stanley Market

I certainly would not go to Stanley for the market. But I would go there for the bus trip which goes around the mountains and the excellent cafes by the sea.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stanley Market

Hi All

Thanks for all the kind advise....

5. Re: Stanley Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 11:48
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stanley Market

yomamemo

Although Stanley and Ocean Park are both to the south side of HK Island, it is still approx 30 minutes bus journey.

The market doesn't stay open very late unlike Mong Kok's Ladies Market. It really depends how long you want to stay at Ocean Park and it can take most of the day.

If you are short on time on your trip and would like to visit both, sure you can visit Stanley in the morning then Ocean Park from midday till closing.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,885 posts
5,899 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stanley Market

Here are some links for Stanley Market and Ladies Market if they are of any use. Nothing more to add to the comments and advice offered above.

Stanley Markets

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294217-d320…

Ladies Market (Mongkok)

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294217-d635…

Temple Street Market (Ya Ma Tei/Jordan)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

In principle, I agree that Stanley is a lovely place to visit in Hong Kong. In fact, we just spent much of today there. However, I wouldn't go there solely for the street markets, make a 1/2 day trip out of Stanley instead. If you don't have time and are only interested in market shopping, stick to Ladies Market (Mongkok) and Temple Street (Ya Ma Tei/Jordan). Two more, often overlooked start markets with more consumable goods (clothes, etc.) and less souvenirs are the Fa Yuen Street market in Mongkok, near the Ladies market and the Jardine's Cresent Bazaar in Causeway Bay near Times Square. See links (w/pictures) if helpful.

Fa Yuen Street (Mongkok)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Jardine's Cresent Bazaar (Causeway Bay)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Have a nice time in Hong Kong and enjoy the street market shopping.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stanley Market

its definitely worth a trip to Stanley, especially by bus which drops you off right outside the market.

As has been said, there are some other areas of interest around too, such as the waterfront and Military cemetry too

Lancashire
Level Contributor
264 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stanley Market

We visited Hong Kong a week ago and Stanley was our first market visit, mainly because I could leave the men to sit, drink beer and admire the view whilst I went shopping.

Its is over 20 years since my last visit and understandably it is very different. It was a good place to start to get an idea of prices, most things are more or less fixed price but there is a little room for manoever. I brought a few items, one I regretted and most I didn't. But following this we went to Prince Edward, Ladies Market, Jade Market and Temple Street Market where prices were cheaper although you had to haggle to get a good deal.

So basically if you don't like to haggle, wander around Stanley and pay a reasonable price for things and enjoy the maze of little shops. It's an amazing bus ride and a chance to see the other side of the island.

Edited: 02 October 2012, 14:33
surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stanley Market

Not much use to you coming from Singapore but there are a couple of shops owned by the same people Sun and Moon who sell good quality ski clothing such as North Face. I find Stanley fun as the others have said - nowhere as good shopping as it used to be though.

When you take the bus make sure it's the one that goes over the top - not through the tunnel. I think you want a no 6 not an express.