We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Octopus Card over two visits

Runcorn UK
Level Contributor
139 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Octopus Card over two visits

We're coming to Hong Kong in March and staying in Kowloon for 4 nights, before going on to Thailand for 10 nights. We're then returning to stay on Hong Kong Island for two nights. Will we need to buy 2 separate cards or will the one card cover the two stays. I'm not sure if you buy a card for a certain number of days or for a number of trips.

Thanks for help.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Octopus Card over two visits

You use the same card for your second visit. The card stays active for 1000 days from date it was last topped up with added value and even after that time it can be reactivated at any MTR Customer Service Centre. The card can last indefinitely, I've had mine for about 12 years.

Edited: 27 October 2012, 17:37
Stockport
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Octopus Card over two visits

We've had our cards for about the same length of time. Don't forget Cocoonbarbie that as well as travel, you can also use your Octopus for lots of other things. They're especially useful for small purchases in shops like 7Eleven (similar to Spar) and Watsons/Mannings (similar to Boots/Superdrug) if you don't want to carry lots of loose change around.

Full details are here - octopus.com.hk/get-your-octopus/…index.html

Edited: 28 October 2012, 08:14
Runcorn UK
Level Contributor
139 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Octopus Card over two visits

Thanks for helpful replies. That's very useful to know about being able to use it in small stores. We don't want to bring too many Hong Kong dollars with us as we'll be using a credit card for most purchases, meals etc.

Thanks, CB

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Octopus Card over two visits

Please note that only cash is accepted to load/refill the Octopus card.

Depending on your planned activities whilst in H.K., the MTR also offers a range of tourist products that may be beneficial to you. Go here for details:

mtr.com.hk/eng/tourist/tourist_products.html

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Octopus Card over two visits

I have an Octopus card from many years ago when I used to stay in HK either before or after trips to various Chinese cities on business. I was pleased to read from SolentTraveller's post No. 1 that it can be reactivated at any MTR Customer Service Centre, so my question is whether there is such a centre at HKIA or will I have to wait until I get into the City to re-activate my card? Also, excuse the stupid question, will I need a separate, new one for my wife. Thanks in advance, D

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Octopus Card over two visits

You should be able to have the card reactivated at any of the Airport Express Customer Service Centres at the airport. I just noticed that the Octopus terms and conditions state that a "reasonable fee" may be charged for reactivation of an inactive Octopus Card as per the schedule of fees and guidelines on the Octopus website. However, the schedule referred to doesn't mention any fee for reactivation so I assume there isn't one.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Octopus Card over two visits

Thanks, SolentTraveller - one more question if I may; is it better to buy Airport Express tickets to get to Hong Kong station or to just use the Octopus on the AE? I'm sure this has been answered before (I have found references to some special deals last year) but I can't seem to find definitive advice about what the situation is now or, more precisely, from 3-8 January when we will be there. Thanks again, D

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Octopus Card over two visits

It depends on your circumstances. If you're travelling in a group of 2 or more it's cheaper to buy the Airport Express Group Ticket rather than individual Airport Express tickets.

mtr.com.hk/eng/…promotions_4persons.html

If you're travelling alone the single-journey ticket fare and Octopus Card fare are the same. However, with Octopus Card only, if you are connecting to the MTR at any Airport Express Station (Tsing Yi, Kowloon or Hong Kong) to complete your journey, all connecting journeys are free with Octopus Card, if taken within one hour of each other.

Airport Express round-trip ticket is available, valid for 30 days, which is cheaper than two single-journey tickets;

mtr.com.hk/eng/fares_tickets/tf_index.html

Edited: 30 October 2012, 17:39
Stockport
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Octopus Card over two visits

Hi Dave

If you use your Octopus card (you'll need a separate one for your wife btw) it will cost you €100 pp for the single journey. If you buy Airport Express tickets, you can get a return ticket for €180 pp, or a one-way ticket for a "group of 2" for €160. I'm not sure how much a return group ticket costs - or if you can even get one come to that!

EDIT: Cross-posted with Solent Traveller!

Edited: 30 October 2012, 17:40
Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Octopus Card over two visits

Thank you both; very helpful indeed.

Edited: 30 October 2012, 17:47