We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong kong Wing On Travel Agency to avoid

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Hong kong Wing On Travel Agency to avoid

So the lesson is, NEVER use the Wingon travel group, or other big advertisers -- only after the trip did I go off the mainstream media and read about so many complaints from users on websites like this one: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k270…

Here's my experience: Attracted by a beautiful Wing On advertisement as I planned my first trip to Taiwan, of course I didn't see any complaint on travel magazine and newspaper sections in Hong Kong which the travel agent pays to create a false image of an expert on Asia travel travelers can rely on.  However, our $14,000 5-night package to Taiwan revealed that this agent is not only incapable of making worry-free travel arrangements but it is in fact downright sly and untrustworthy, with so many tricks up their sleeve to victimize readily any innocent customers like you and me, who are in Asia the first time.

First, the trick Wingon plays on airline booking.  They told us that the flight was full, but for $400 more for each person, they could arrange an upgraded seat. Later, at the airline counter, we found out that there was no such thing, and we were just squeezed into whatever space available in the economy class.  Then, arriving Taipei the first night, the hotel explained to us that there were a mistake made in Hong Kong so that we'd be placed in a standard room instead of the deluxe double we'd had paid more for.  Since Wingon did the booking through another agent in Taiwan whose name and contact it refused to disclose, we were caught between the hotel, and the two agents with nobody we could make contact with to deal with the mishap. Third, the remaining 4 nights at a 5-star hotel were almost spoiled when Wingon, obviously for the purpose of maximizing profit, arranged a dinner plan that made us look like eating in a cheap restaurant on the street.  The hotel was asked to put us "specially" in a corner outside the buffet area with a number of guests who apparently had bought similar "cheap package" unknowingly through the same agent, either HK or Taiwan.  While other customers were having buffet, we were to be given a Chinese set dinner with five small plates of meat and vegetable which the hotel staff simply scooped up from the buffet table.  No choices were offered us, and one dish was a pork-and-egg stew in dark brown soy sause that had been kept in a big bowl full of oil for many days!  We wouldn't have seen it if we had not insisted on upgrading our meal plan by paying more for the regular buffet dinner and saw what the staff at the restaurant were asked to do.  As for the room we were staying, we read the hotel's promo ad and suspected that we had paid more than the other customers coming on tour buses!

By the end of our first trip in Taipei, we had made enough connection to arrange booking directly with the hotel which would offer us upgrade at a more reasonable rate including dinner next time when we visit again.

Conclusion: Use Wingon at your own risk. Avoid it if you want to be treated as a valued customer. They may mess up your journey, downgrade for what you pay for and rip you off.  Rather, start early on your planning, do your own research and trust yourself as more of an expert than what the Wingon agents claim they are, but they are NOT!

TramOramic Sightseeing Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Hong Kong City & Countryside Bike Tours - Smooth Ride Cycles
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours
47 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong kong Wing On Travel Agency to avoid

I'm thinking to use this agent for my trip next month to Taipei with your advise I will book it on my own.

Your info is appreciated.

Thank You !

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong kong Wing On Travel Agency to avoid

Booking through BIG agencies such as Wing On doesn't always necessarily mean a scam. From your experience, I am sure it's NOT what anyone wants to go through when booking a vacation.

However, I like to clarify a few points in fairness:

1) The air ticket- it's very possible that when you made the booking, the lowest fare class code is not available, sold out (as only a number of seats are offered at lowest fare on each flight), most likely Wing On books group fare, and hence you had to pay for a higher category but still economy seat ticket. $ 400 is very reasonable. Therefore, paying for a "higher" fare, didn't mean you get better seats, but you get to go on the flight with that date and time.

2) Type of Room- I don't doubt what happened is possible, but it's also possible that when booking packages, the room type "names" are different from the agents' than the hotels. I have tried it many times. Hence, I usually clarify it with the hotel directly with what exactly am I getting before I confirm the booking.

3) Meals- definitely true. If the meal is INCLUDED by these huge agencies, it's bound to be NOT very good. But you cannot blame them, they don't promise you the most luxurious meals, just a "dinner" is included and they fulfilled it. It's been over 10 years since I ever joined anything by big travel agencies like Wing On, but I recall the last tour we did and a package that they included anything, we always paid extra to get better meals, and better rooms. Their packages prices are cheaper than other agencies for a reason. They book by group rates, and sell them as DIY tours (air and hotel package only).... hence, the value and quality is bound to be compromised.

Sorry about your unpleasant experience, perhaps you should book hotel and air packages through other agencies, or through CX holidays.... they would give you better quality packages, but the price is of course higher than what you see in Wing On.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
112 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong kong Wing On Travel Agency to avoid

Thanks for your advice. Me and my wife were just going down to Wing On at new jade shopping centre to book a trip to Osaka and I don't feel like getting ripped off so maybe we'll try skywards travel instead right across. And 14,000 for a trip to Taiwan seems kind of expensive to begin with unless you were there for 2 weeks and visited every city.

When we went to Wing On earlier in the day to inquire about a trip to Osaka, they didn't seem too happy to help us anyway and my wife is from Hong Kong and speaks cantonese.

I'd also suggest maybe trying Travel Expert next time. We've booked them to go to Macau a couple of times and got great pricing on ferry and hotel.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong kong Wing On Travel Agency to avoid

I saw this correspondence by accident, and would like to add to it. There was a Wing On 7 day tour from Hong Kong to India for about HKD1900, a fabulous price, I thought. After rounding out a travel companion, I phoned Wing On, to be told that that tour had been and gone, and the next available tour was about HKD6000+. Needless to say, I didn't book, and wondered if that was a scam to get people interested.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,614 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong kong Wing On Travel Agency to avoid

I doubt it's a scam. Tours do fill up. Also, you will get different meals, itineraries and hotels between a $1,900 tour and a $6,000 tour.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong kong Wing On Travel Agency to avoid

Agree with Sammy. $1900 tours exist. Dont expect much though with these prices....they also get filled up because I have done it long time ago. I booked the tour for only its air ticket. I didnt do anything with the tour, just took the air fare roundtrip. Met up with the group only at check in for flight time.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,618 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong kong Wing On Travel Agency to avoid

Package tour price variation like this is pretty normal and depends on inclusions, accommodation category and travel dates. You would need to compare the tours like-for-like to see what the differences are. Very often it is the accommodation type that drives the prices up. Also, considering the spread in hotel price ranges in India, I'm not surprised to see tour price range differences like this.

manchester
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong kong Wing On Travel Agency to avoid

hmm they are all out to make money!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
172 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hong kong Wing On Travel Agency to avoid

Used Wing On a few times and never had an issue. On a past trip to Korea they helped arrange a surprise birthday cake for a friend. I would advise you check everything carefully before paying but this is no different to other travel companies in HK.

10. Re: Hong kong Wing On Travel Agency to avoid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 04:08

Reply to: Hong kong Wing On Travel Agency to avoid
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted