We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong kong and macau

Bengaluru, India
3 posts
Save Topic
Hong kong and macau

Hi Folks,

I am travelling to hong kong and I will be staying there for 3 days starting from Dec 15. I will be travelling alone.

I would like to cover hong kong and macau in 3 days. Is there any tour package of reasonable rate where they will guide in both the places.

Please let me know.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,170 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong kong and macau

You really don't need a guided tour as both Hk & Macau are very tourist friendly. There are plenty of one-day or half day tours you can do in Hk & at Macau Ferry Terminal you can pick up excellent brochures with maps of the historic precinct. Enjoy your trip.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong kong and macau

IMO, with 3 days, i would just stick to HK and skip Macau rather than wasting time on ferries and immigrations. Half-day or even 1-day couldnt cover Macau nowadays.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,351 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong kong and macau

I also think that typically 3 days is a rush to tour Hong Kong. Trying to include Macau as well in 3 days, you will spend a lot of time in travel overhead.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,791 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong kong and macau

Unless you want to go to jewelry factories don't book for a guided group tour.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,661 posts
5,744 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong kong and macau

Linking to similarly asked question from yesterday.

tripadvisor.com/…45027559

Bengaluru, India
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong kong and macau

Okay. Thanks for all your reples. I also wanted to know, will the people in hong kong speak English.

I thought language will be the problem and that is the reason I am looking for a tour package.

Please advise.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong kong and macau

Language is not a big barrier in HK. You should be able to get on fine by yourself just catching public transport and following signs. If you really want a guided tour, look under the 'Tours' section here on TA because there are some guides who get excellent reviews.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,661 posts
5,744 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong kong and macau

giridharan k

In terms of tourism, you should have little no trouble with language barriers in HK. English signs, menus and plenty who speak the language make it rather trouble free in most areas of the city that you are likely to spend time as a visitor. While not everyone here speaks English, the places you are likely to see/visit, there will be enough that do. So this really shouldn't be a reason to avoid seeing the city on your own. Most of our guests don't speak a single word of Cantonese and most have few (if any) complaints about the language barriers.

The biggest difficulties seem to be talking to taxi drivers. So, just get your hotel to give you a business card and to write out where you want to go in Chinese if you want to use taxis. Also, some smaller eateries don't have English signs. In this case, just look at the pictorial menus or even walk around and point to what you want to eat. Its fine to do this!

Hope you have a great time in HK.

9. Re: Hong kong and macau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2013, 10:20