We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biggest supermarket in Hong Kong

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Biggest supermarket in Hong Kong

Was wondering what is the biggest supermarket in Hong kong,. preferably something comparable to Carrefour or Walmart.

Well basically I need to buy everything from toiletries, cutlery, utensils,clothing, to bed linen.

Thanx

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biggest supermarket in Hong Kong

Nothing really comparable to those two.

There are plenty of smaller specialty stores around and likely to be not too far from where your apartment is. Also depends on your budget. There is an Ikea in Causeway Bay for all the kitchen and bedding, if you like their stuff.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biggest supermarket in Hong Kong

No Carrefour and Walmart in Hong Kong but there are a lot of Wellcome's and Citysuper's.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Biggest supermarket in Hong Kong

Completely forgot about ikea as last time i lived there 4 years ago I didnt see 1.

I know wellcome but its small like tesco express or carrefour express.

I guess then I hv to go to separate places to buy that all.

Thanx

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,249 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biggest supermarket in Hong Kong

Might as well go to separate places, otherwise how are you going to carry everything all at once? May have to take several trips too.

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Biggest supermarket in Hong Kong

Taste has a good selection. I know the one at Tung Chung as everything from food items (including a good bakery) to kitchen utensils and small appliances to bed linen etc. I am not sure of the other locations. Another option is to go to Ikea or price rite for the non food items.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Biggest supermarket in Hong Kong

Also, check out department stores like Jusco for clothing, linen, etc.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biggest supermarket in Hong Kong

The U.S. (or perhaps Europe too) model of "one stop shopping" is not common in Hong Kong. One issue, as TSS pointed out in #4, even if you can pick everything in your shopping list, if it amount to "a lot" how do you transport them home? Hong Kong residents usually take a "shop a little bit each day" approach.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Biggest supermarket in Hong Kong

Hi, for some, you could also try ParknShop- order all online and have it delivered to your doorstep.

They do carry most of the items you stated.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,665 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biggest supermarket in Hong Kong

There is a nice (but expensive) City Super in IFC Mall - but as others have said, in HK you don't go to a supermarket to buy sheets. In China I'd go to the department store part of JusCo or to Ikea so I guess the same in HK, otherwise whichever is nearest to where you live is best for 95% of your requirements.

We are supposedly getting a Walmart in Zhuhai soon!!

Edited: 05 November 2012, 10:21
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Biggest supermarket in Hong Kong

Hi All,

Usually since Ikea in Europe are not located in city center, then I have to buy lots of stuff at once & take a cab home. But you are right, since Hk is small & well connected, I guess its better to buy stuff everyday, I bet in 1 week I can complete the flat.

Any recommended places near Prince edward / Lai chi kok for grocery and bedding?

Thanx