We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR Hong Kong - part 2

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
JBR Hong Kong - part 2

Saturday 29th September

Stanley Markets. I really enjoy any markets, but this has to be one of my favourites. We have been coming to HK since late 70’s. We always make time for Stanley Markets. Particularly wanted to see the new boardwalk area just behind the markets. Missed it on our last trip in 2009 (if it was open) as we opted to do a tour with a coach and they only allowed a short time here.

Caught a taxi to Central Bus station, bus #260 via Aberdeen Tunnel. What a waste of time getting to Central as the bus stopped at Wan Chai not far from our hotel. (have to remember that on our way home). Double decker bus, but the top was full. As lots of people got off we scrambled to the top.

I was a bit reluctant to grab the front row seats, as I remember our trips in the late 70’s & 80’s. It was scarey. But must admit the buses are much better now (or is it the drivers) and apart from wondering a few times, if we would make that tight bend, all was ok. Noted that this bus went past Ocean Park and stops there.

We were not intending to shop, our main purpose was to see behind the markets. Forgot I was married to a man who doesn’t mind shopping (closet shopper, as he will never admit to it).

Stopped to buy some souvenir T-Shirts. Impressed as they were of good quality and didn’t cost much more than other markets. I bought the grandkiddies a dress up costume each. For the girl, a fairy lady bug costume, and for the boy, hubby picked out a Peter Pan costume. Also picked up some snatch on watches for gifts.

Found a clothes shop that sells linen clothes. Its called Vivid Collection at 58 Stanley Main St. Clothes were of a good quality, but pricey, compared to what they cost in Aust. A$60/70 for ¾ pants. Linen sleeveless top A$42. Sizes go up to size 26. I found them to very baggy and loose. Cool yes, but shapeless. Didnt buy anything here. 1 or 2 shops further up, found another shop that also stocked larger sizes. Bought 2 pairs of linen/cotton mix ¾ pants for A$22 each. Also bought an oil painting of the HK skyline. Hubby bought a super light weight backpack. Some traditional Chinese dolls from HK to add to mine and my daughters collection (cheapest I ever did see them, compared to anywhere else in HK). We must have bought more as we went back to the hotel, with lots of bags and the backpack full.

Walked along the new (newish) boardwalk/promenade to Stanley Piaza Shopping Centre. Thought about walking further on, but nuh, going back to the hotel sounded like a better idea.

Caught bus #260, sat front row up top, and got off at Wan Chai.

Went to Tai Hang Fire Dragon Dance. Found out where it starts from (printed from web page & also asked people). Went to that spot and waited till the 7.30pm start time. 8.30pm and it still hadn’t started. Then a group of parade people came and stood in front of us with large paper lanterns and signs. We couldn’t see a thing. Walked off at this stage after waiting for over 2 hours. By this time I guess that close to a third of the people were walking off. No one was happy. Looks like it is a badly organised event.

Walked to the Victoria Park to see Lee Kum Lantern Wonderland. Walked in one end and walked out the other end. It was so crowded and packed to capacity. Hard to see anything. Decided to catch a taxi back to Hay Hay Kitchen for dinner for the 2nd time. Good food, but service is slow. Our rice came after we had finished eating and had already gotten up to pay.

Sunday 30 September – Public Holiday – Mid Autumn Festival – Moon Cakes Festival

Off to Ocean Park today. Havent been there since some time in the 80’s. Should imagine it has changed in that time. Caught the #260 bus from Wan Chai. It doesn’t drop you off at the main entrance, but a 3 minute walk and we were at the entrance. Entrance tickets cost HK$280 each per adult.

We went straight to the cable car that takes you between the 2 sections of the park. Wanted to catch the Ocean Theatre Sea Dreams Park show At 11.30am. Dolphins & Seals, nice but not spectacular. Ocean Park is built on a very hilly location, I found it too hard on my back walking up & down hills all the time. Had a look around, but decided to head back to the main section (near the entrance) via cable car. The views from the cable car are gorgeous.

Next to the Panda pavilion. Loved it. Very easy to see the Pandas. Starting to get quite crowded, so went on a few rides, walked around, and time to leave.

There is a lot to see and do at Ocean Park, you could easily stay all day here. But a public holiday and Chinese school holiday time, means massive crowds, and massive queues.

Caught a bus to Causeway Bay, then a tram to Wan Chai.

Caught the Wan Chai Ferry to TST. MTR to Mongkok Ladies Market. This place has changed, more like Temple Street Market now. We have always gone during the day before, perhaps there is a difference between the night and day versions of this market, or its just changed.

Ate at a Taiwanese restaurant near the markets. Just ordered a simple dish of rice with home made tomato sauce and chicken on top. It was fantastic. Didnt note down the address, pity as would have gone back.

Taxi to Star Ferry TST to Wan Chai. Time to pack up and leave hotel as we are off to Macau for 2 nights.

Cheers. Danuta.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,621 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR Hong Kong - part 2

Wow, very well written and enjoy able to read. Thanks for sharing.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR Hong Kong - part 2

Another fabulous report, I'm takiing notes for our trip next year.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR Hong Kong - part 2

Hi Chrella. Long time, no hear from you. Hope you are well and having fun planning your next trip.

Queensland
Level Contributor
662 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR Hong Kong - part 2

Thanks for a great report Danuta, I'm going to Hongkong next year, just wondering what hotel do you stay at, I was looking forward to staying at the YMCA salisbury but they are renovating next July when I'll be there.

cheers Ella (I must have missed part 1, I'll have to search for it)

Edited: 15 November 2012, 05:13
Balikpapan
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR Hong Kong - part 2

hello ellaqueensland,

can i know which month YMCA Salisbury start the renovation ?

i'm planning going to HK next year.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR Hong Kong - part 2

Agus W, I do not know this for certain, but I read on some travel agency website that the rooms are undergoing refurbishment from 1st March 2013 onwards (could last a year or so, but the work will be done in phases, so, not all rooms will be getting renovated at the same time). It would be best to check directly with the YMCA Salisbury though.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR Hong Kong - part 2

Hello Ella. Havent seen much of your posts lately. Probably cause I dont go on the forum much.

We stayed at the "The Harbourview Hotel" on HK island. Nice hotel, but its location is what I would call "not tourist friendly". Its in a business area.

I didnt like walking back to the hotel at night (esp after what happened to me in KL, earlier this year).

Stayed at the YMCA, and its not fancy, but I dont go for fancy anyway, I just want something, decent and cheaper, but the location was fantastic. I left it a bit late booking something on Kowloon side, as I didnt realise that there was 2 public holidays as well as the start of school holiday time in China, while we were there. Very busy place normally HK, but add the 2 above events and its squashed sardine time.

We have been to HK many times and always stayed on Kowloon side, so that was one of the reasons I thought HK Island would be a good idea.

I was Wrong.

Katsrule just stayed in .....Romibus Kowloon side (and she loved it), but its a non smoking hotel, so that was out for us. Think Katsrule just put up a review of the hotel.

We stayed at Holiday inn Golden Mile hotel last time we went, on Nathan Road, but its just so overpriced, that I looked elsewhere.

You dont have to stay in Kowloon itself. Any hotel that is right near a MTR station , would be good. But dont be shocked by the prices and the sizes of the rooms. I flatly refused to stay in any room smaller than 15 sq m. Im claustrophobic. Some hotels have rooms that are only 8 or 9 sq m.

I still have some more JBRs to do on HK. Just havent had the time.

Ella, are you going to Macau? If so you must go to the show "House of Dancing water". Its like Cirq de Sole (not sure how to spell it), on steroids. Its an absolute must see. I would go back to Macau , just to see that show again. If you have enough time in HK, consider a half or day trip,or 1 night just to see the show. Guarantee you will love it.

Cheers. Danuta.

Balikpapan
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR Hong Kong - part 2

thanks arisanosila

i'm affraid ican't sleep because the renovation and it is not fun when we are getting tired from sightseeing find the room wasn't comfortable at all.

i will email YMCA Salisbury directly

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR Hong Kong - part 2

Great reports Danuta, I was wondering how your trip went but know you do get busy.

I don't know what it is with ordering rice in Hong Kong restaurants but we have a lot of problems and usually end up with none for some reason.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR Hong Kong - part 2

Hi Pegusus. I just did a JBR on Macau. I must say thanks for all your help in planning it. New map that you get in Macau, is much better and clearer than the old maps, esp for 1st timers.

I think that the problem with rice is that they dont seem to serve it with the main meal, as we are used to back home. It always seems to come later on when you have nearly finished. And I like my rice with my meat or chicken and not as a dessert.

Cheers. Danuta.