We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to get formal dresses and mens suits made?

qld australia
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Topic
where to get formal dresses and mens suits made?

HI,

Where would be the best place to get formal dresses and mens suits made and also what would one expect to pay for these? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to get formal dresses and mens suits made?

My advice would be to do a search on this site. There are numerous previous threads about tailoring. I'd also suggest that you go to a tailor that is covered by the Hong Kong tourism boards guarantee system. As to price, you can pretty much pay what you like, but in suits perhaps even more so than many other things you get what you pay for. If you want a suit that is going to last and not look like a sack of hops inside of a year, you should be prepared to pay. Where I live the op shops are full of suits made in various parts of Asia that have almost literally disintegrated under the stress of wear. If you want a rule of thumb, I wouldn't pay much less than HK$5000. Obviously you can get suits for much less than this. Another rule of thumb, on the whole don't use tailors that use touts on the street. If you're at Hong Kong airport or you want to ring the local branch of the Hong Kong tourism board which is somewhere in Australia I think, they will send you a map of Hong Kong which has several accredited tailors advertisements on it. If I knew nothing about tailoring, I would tend to use one of these.

qld australia
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to get formal dresses and mens suits made?

thanks so much that is really good advice, will do my research.

thanks

qld australia
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to get formal dresses and mens suits made?

sorry forgot to ask do the tailors that do the suits, do the formal dresses for women as well?

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to get formal dresses and mens suits made?

Most places do, but you really need to look for quality tailors.

If you want good quality, do expect to pay good money for it. HK will not be so cheap as what you might find in other countries. Also, give yourself plenty of time for fittings, so, everything can be made perfectly to your specifications. Too little time from beginning to end of the process also impacts on quality.

If you look at this thread, SolentTraveller has listed a few reputable tailors for women - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k302… I don't know if the addresses and numbers have changed, since it was posted in 2009, but, I'm sure you can google around the most up to date address.

5. Re: where to get formal dresses and mens suits made?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2012, 01:47
Edited: 17 November 2012, 01:47
Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to get formal dresses and mens suits made?

arisanosila has given good advice on measuring/fittings. I'd allow for three visits.

7. Re: where to get formal dresses and mens suits made?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 10:19