We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back report

England
Level Contributor
201 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Just back report

Hi, we got home from our 4wk trip that included 4d/n in Hong Kong on Wed and would like to say thanks to all who have given me info to make it so memorable.

To sum up and hopefully help others we did the following things in no specific order, many tips picked up from here enabled us to do the following...

1/stayed at the Cosmo Mongkok...highly recommended despite it being a bit far out of the main action, spotlessly clean, excellent breakfast and nice staff, used their free shuttle bus frequently.

2/purchased the Octopus cards, one elder one adult, and got great value with them

3/ bought the group of 2 Airport express cards, cheaper then individual ones

4/visited the Terracotta exhibit, now closed

5/ used the MTR frequently, very user friendly, good value esp with the Octopus cards

6/ went to Victoria Peak, bit misty but never mind!

7/ went to Lantau Isl, Ngong Ping 360, Buddah statue, Po Lin Monastery...VERY, VERY foggy, but it was our only chance to visit and we decided to go for it, as if by magic the cloud lifted to reveal the statue we had walked past and not even seen up above us

8/visited Nan Lian Garden and Chi Lin Nunnery, both well worth seeing, stunning scenery

9/ went to the flower market/goldfish market, flower marked was nice, goldfish market was more a street of shops with aquariums with posters saying no photos, not quite what I had visualised.

10/watched the light show on the promenade twice.

11/took Star Ferry to HK Isl, hubby went free with elder Octopus, a must do in HK

12/ went to the Lantau Bridge Link Centre to view the bridges...eventually, as our taxi driver wasn't sure where to drop us and we ended up in the middle of nowhere, despite having it written down in Chinese by the helpful Cosmo staff. His steering mechanism was also a bit dodgy as he kept wandering from side to side!

13/ walked Avenue of Stars

14/also used the minibusses to get around, good value, a bit hairy driving, but all part of the HK experience!

15/ ate at the Outback Steakhouse in Nathan Rd a couple of times, good value and nice food.

16/ ran the gauntlet of the sellers in Nathan Rd offering copy this and copy that!

17/ walked what seemed like miles each day, returned to the Cosmo thoroughly exhausted late each evening but had a great time despite the rainy/foggy/misty weather and it was nice to revisit HK after 10 yrs.

So a big thanks to all who helped me out, regards to all.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back report

Thanks for your report, you certainly packed a lot into your trip.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
5,794 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back report

Indeed, good trip report. Thanks for sharing. I hope you can find the time to provide some reviews for the hotel, restaurants and attractions you visited during your trip. Thanks for sharing.

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back report

Good report, you seem to have covered all the main attractions!

Didn't know it gets so foggy in HK during winter

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back report

Thanks for the JBR. Enjoyed reading it.

Had to laugh at your comment "16/ ran the gauntlet of the sellers in Nathan Rd offering copy this and copy that!"

I actually didnt find them too offensive this year. Seem to have toned down heaps since our previous trip in 2009. But they are certainly out there, every few metres.

Agree with you on the Outback Steakhouse. Good food. Did you try the ribs? Yum.

Cheers. Danuta.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back report

Thanks for your itinerary.

I will be in Hong Kong this Sat. I am not sure if I need to rug up for winter, or just take clothes suitable for Autumn. Any thoughts?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back report

Cold and drizzle here today..everyone rugged up..forcsdt for cooler next week

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back report

Thank you Croash

Shame about the rain.

England
Level Contributor
201 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back report

Hi there, hope some of the info might give others a few ides of what is possible. Yes we did do rather a lot, but we're not ones for travelling half way round the globe to sit in the lobby of our hotel!!

No we didn't try the ribs, had steaks both times, and we liked the bread they served as an appetizer.

Met a woman from the UK who was working in HK and she said the heavy drizzle/low cloud/fog was rather un-seasonal as it's normally sunny and clear in Nov.

The Nathan Rd guys were fine as soon as we said no thanks, they got the message and just zoomed in on the next non-Asian tourist!! My husband tends to get annoyed, but I just wonder how many sales they do make this way? Unfortunately I tend to stick out like a sore thumb against the small dark haired Asain/Oriental races as I'm 6ft and fair haired, so an easy target.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
5,794 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back report

>>>>>The Nathan Rd guys were fine as soon as we said no thanks, they got the message and just zoomed in on the next non-Asian tourist!!<<<<<

The best thing to do is to just not acknowledge them when they approach or start speaking to you. If you are having a conversation with your partner, just carry on with your conversation and keep walking. Don't pause, don't look at them don't give them attention.

If you are by yourself, just keep walking, same approach, just don't give them a moments attention and they will move on quickly.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back report

Thank for sharing this with me. I also just went back from Hong Kong, my favorite place is pretty much Nan Lian garden - really nice and peaceful place to go - beautiful garden with many fishes there. Also went to Wong Tai sin which is just one station after Nan Lian garden

I have also been to Ocean park - very fun place, avenue of star, symphony of light (under my expectation though - it could be better than this),

Been to big budda and Nong Ping village by cable car - the view is significant and big buddha is so beautiful.

Went to have a nice drink and see the beautiful building in Central area in Hong Kong, it is a bar called Sevva at 25th FL that allow me to see great view of HSBC, Bank of china, standard charter building, etc - nice place to chill out and have a drink at night.

The weather is great, just small pouring rain but I stayed only 3 days and 2 night, I wish to stay longer so want to go to some local places, markets, try food and discovery bay, maybe will do for my next trip. Thank again for sharing your experience - i may try to go to some of the place you visit for my next trip.