We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok HK Toronto Duty Free

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
1,238 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok HK Toronto Duty Free

I am flying BKK to HK to YYZ

Despite my previous travels I have never done DFree, but I owe a favour to a friend so if the price is right i would buy some liquor.

I am in transit at HK so if I buy DF in BKK will I be able to take lquid on plane from HK to YYZ

If I buy DFree in HK airport in transit (is this possible?) can I take liquid on plane.

I would follow restrictions of bringing alcohol into Canada, my flight is direct HK to YYZ.

Thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok HK Toronto Duty Free

Hi, HK's DF priced better than in BKK.

So it will be HK DF for you.

(heard of the trivia game-Malarky? in BKK especially King Power outlets-- word in practice particularly for alcohol, chocolates and certain extent..perfume).

Though, in BKK Suvarnabhumi ("suwanapoom"), you may wish to check on Jim Thompson shop.

Yep, within restrictions in relation to LAG as hand carry.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
1,238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok HK Toronto Duty Free

I do not understand last line?

So can I take liquids with carry ON from BKK and HK to yyz??

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok HK Toronto Duty Free

There is duty-free shopping inside the HKIA secure (transit) area. You will be allowed to take liquids purchased at HKIA onto the flight. See the FAQs below, from the HKIA website:

Q20.

Can passengers bring liquid items purchased at HKIA onto their departing flight?

Generally passengers can take liquid items purchased at shops, located beyond the security screening check points, at HKIA onto their departing flight. However, if such passengers are taking United State or Australian bound flights or have to transfer to another flight at the next port of call, they should check with their airlines on the requirements for carriage of liquid purchases.

Q21.

Can transfer passengers bring their liquid items purchased at the airport at their previous port of call or on board aircraft through the transfer security screening point at HKIA?

Yes, if such items are in containers no larger than 100ml and placed in a tranparent re-sealable plastic bag with maximum capacity of 1 litre .

Liquid purchases that are in excess of 100ml may be allowed through the security screening point at HKIA upon satisfactory checks if they meet the following requirements:

purchased from airports which have implemented the new requirements on the control of liquids (passengers are advised to check with their airlines on local requirements adopted at different countries) ; or

purchased on board Hong Kong registered aircraft (Cathay Pacific Airways, Hong Kong Dragon Airlines, Hong Kong Express Airways and Hong Kong Airlines); or

purchased on board non-Hong Kong registered aircraft whose previous port of call is an airport which has implemented the new requirements on the control of liquids; and

liquid purchases are packed in a sealed plastic bag that is both tamper-evident and display satisfactory proof of purchase on the day(s) of the journey.

So judging from the FAQ, you might or might not be OK with liquids purchased at BKK, and you are supposed to "check with your airline on local requirements...." If I were you, I would just plan to buy the stuff at HKIA, and avoid any possible hassle with a security inspector not wanting to accept the BKK secure bag.

Edited: 28 December 2012, 10:41
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok HK Toronto Duty Free

@mKiaratravel: cheaper now in HK? So far the especially special offers and Gin were always better at BKK.

@OntarioC: Buying in HK not a problem at all. Shops before the gates. We are talking about one bottle I assume. Would not check BKK, but go for HK to buy it, even though BKK is using the sealed plastic bags and you would be allowed to transfer them.

If you want to be sure, ask your airline for latest information about their regulation for liquids on board.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,421 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok HK Toronto Duty Free

To simplify things, buy your duty free alcohol in HK while in transit.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,855 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok HK Toronto Duty Free

Tons of shops in HK, buy there then there is no issue.

7. Re: Bangkok HK Toronto Duty Free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 10:17