We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some quick answers

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rural SA
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Need some quick answers

Hello everyone, I know these answers could be researched but I need to arrange a holiday quickly and confirm bookings even though we are not travelling until September. We've travelled to Europe, Thailand, Bali, Singapore and the South pacific but never Hong Kong. I know it would be a totally different experience. We want to stay harbourside but our budget would be 200.0-300.00 AUD per night. A harbour view (occasionally from the poolside!) is important to us. To convince my husband to travel to a bustling city, we need to spend the odd moment unwinding. Is it possible to stay somewhere that is also close to good yum cha and transport - we'll also be spending a few nights at Disney as we have a 6 yo. Also thinking about visiting Macau. We are not shoppers but want a general overview of Hong Kong while we are there. Can you recommend a hotel? We want to see what the majority of tourists want to see but also spend a day on the harbour cruising too.

Thanks,

Mel

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some quick answers

Harbour view comes at a premium.

Maybe try YMCA Salisbury harbourview rooms. Location is excellent.

Being close to good yum cha and transport is the least of the worries. Yum cha are everywhere and transportation is very good in many places. Harbour view hotels, on the other hand... there are only a handful.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
282 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some quick answers

Yep - YMCA is good suggestion - everyone wants harbourview but costs as rule.

I haven't stayed at Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - but worth checking out. Prob bit over $300 though.

Rural SA
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some quick answers

Thank you both, This is exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
282 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some quick answers

And as HappyFeet1234 points out - pretty much everywhere has transport and food options as it's all so close. Have fun planning :-)

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
544 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some quick answers

If you really want to splurge, you can try the brand new Ritz Carlton at ICC, which has lovely views of the harbour. There are a few Chinese restaurants in the mall downstairs and you are directly connected to the airport train line.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,326 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some quick answers

AUD 200 to 300 won't get you into Ritz Carlton though. OP would need to revise the budget by 2 to 3x.

Sheraton is normally in the range of HKD$2,500+.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,198 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some quick answers

I don't think there is a hotel where you can view the harbor pool side. Even if there is one your budget would be too low. Also there is no reason to spend more than one day at Disney. It's a relatively small amusement park.

Drysdale
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some quick answers

Hi, Your 6 year old will obviously enjoy Disneyland but it is quite small and could be covered in a day. I would also strongly recommend you go to Ocean Park. We have just returned and we did both. Whilst Disneyland offers what you would expect of the brand, we were absolutely blown away by what Ocean Park had to offer. Our granddaughters were captivated by the pandas as well as the marine life. Accomodation-wise - we stayed at the Panorama in TST - club harbour view rooms - and found it to be quite comfortable. The harbour view was stunning. Don't know if they had a pool. Regards, Nanette

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
544 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some quick answers

True ... Ritz may exceed your budget. How about Hotel ICON? It is a little bit far from the action but it has waterfront skyline views. As a training hotel, it should be very affordable.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 08:27
Rural SA
Level Contributor
286 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need some quick answers

Thank you all so much. Family suites at Salisbury were only around 250 aud per night but absolutely booked solid so I will definitely look at these other options. Guess I was thinking of Disney over two days because we really are in no rush whatsoever but will reduce to two night stay rather than three. Thanks for your tips!