We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Golf

Husband has a bit of a tradition that he plays a game of golf in whatever country we travel to. (I am happy I have a girl shopping day :)

What would be your favourite golf course in Hong Kong?

Any info on it would also be appreciated (price, contact details etc).

Thank you.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf

The only public golf course in HK is the Jockey Club's facility on Kau Sai Chau island:

http://www.kscgolf.org.hk/index-e.asp

Perth
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf

well then it looks like that's where he will play, thank you :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf

I played there last week and I would highly recommend the East course as the best of the three courses there. The North is next best but it is a walking-only course ( no carts/buggies). Try not to play on a Saturday or Sunday since it will be more crowded with slower play and more expensive.

Make sure your husband allows plenty of travel time to the course since it takes a while to get there. Then there is the boat shuttle to the island, then bus shuttle to the clubhouse. And he will also need to bring his passport and proof of a golf handicap.

Finally, bring lots of golf balls.

Perth
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf

Wow, thank you, he has never had to take those things before....well he takes golf balls lol.

He will be playing during the week, probably a Wednesday.

He likes a cart, so I will be sure to tell him the East course.

Could you please advise of the time to allow to get there, we will be staying at Mariners club hotel which I believe is near where all the ships come in. Quite central.

Thanks so much for your info and help.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf

I was in Central HK and it was 45 min by car.

This site can tell you directions via bus, or you can take a taxi.

www.hongkongextras.com/_sai_kung.html

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf

BTW, the dock for the golf course boat shuttle has poor signage. However, it's the first dock closest to the parking garage and the tennis courts.

Perth
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf

copied and pasted.....thank you :)

London
Level Contributor
100 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf

Since HK is part of China, I'd suggest to any golf fanatic in HK to go over the border to Shenzhen to play.

Several local tour companies do all inclusive trips for clients, picking them up in a minibus in the morning, and playing a round for example at Mission Hills, with lunch and dinner and the return trip back.

Of course he'd need a China visa to do this, but the courses in China are well worth the visit. The fairways and greens are immaculate, and best of all you get a caddie to carry your clubs, give you information about the course, and help you look for your balls. Never lost a ball whilst a caddie was around, they have eyes like a hawk!

Perth
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,563 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golf

Hmmmmm that sounds like another option, would you happen to know the name or contact of any of the local tour companies ? All inclusive might appeal more to him and he definately likes to have a caddy.

He says on the Asia courses, they do everything for you except hit the ball :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,789 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golf

HK is indeed part of China, but as mentioned, you would need a visa to get into China mainland. Therefore, from a practical perspective, it's more like another country since you need to go through all border formalities. A typical outing from HK is an all-day affair including about 60-90 minutes transport one-way.

Mission Hills has 12 courses and they offer visitors a chance to play for around USD300. If you opt for their service, play at one of the Dongguan courses as they are generally nicer.