We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong Layover

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Hong Kong Layover

My flight will be arriving in Hong Kong at 6 AM in the first week of April. I do not depart until 4:30 PM and had hoped to do something other than sit in the airport. I'll admit, all the islands sound confusing and there seems to be so many options. I figure I have about 8 hours to venture around. I am not sure if I should stay on Lantau Island, or if I should venture to see Victoria Peak and take the Star Ferry. Any suggestions would be appreciated! My interests include culture (temples, local life) and wildlife (pink dolphins, whales), although I'm not opposed to seeing the hustle and bustle I wouldn't mind short hiking through more rural areas. Hoping to have some great views of as much as possible. I will be travelling alone and I would like to keep it as affordable as possible. Any help would be great, I'm overwhelmed!

Bangkok
Level Contributor
276 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong Layover

I recommend you go to Lantau Island as it is not far from the airport, in there, you can see Big Buddha, Nong Ping village where you can see and absorb some of the Chinese culture, i hope this help

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,699 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong Layover

You have time to get out to the city, see the Peak, ride the Star Ferry, watch HK people get to work, have dim sum lunch. Check the HKIA layover item on the right side of this page.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong Layover

I'd suggest you to stay on Lantau Island during your layover. Reach Tung Chung MTR by bus S1, and visit Po Lin Monastery (via bus 23/cable car) and then Tai O via bus 21. Return to Tung Chung by bus 11, then bus S1 back to the terminal.

http://www.newlantaobus.com/nlb.html

Bus S1: www.nwstbus.com.hk

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,042 posts
5,937 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong Layover

Have a look at the Top Questions (FAQ) - HKIA Layovers, Airport Lounge - some good suggestions there. There is a lot you can consider doing consider that Airport Express can have you in Kowloon (20 minutes) and HK Island (24 minutes). Have a look at this list of attractions/activities on this list to help think about what to do/see during your layover .

Hong Kong Top Attractions (by area)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23948-Hong_Kon…

Have a nice layover in Hong Kong.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong Layover

I would like to go to Ngong Ping, Tai-O and possibly Mui Wo. As I will be arriving early, 6:15 I figure it doesn't make any sense to go to Ngong Ping until it is closer to opening time. I was thinking go to Mui Wo, then Ngong Ping and finally Tai-O (possibly taking the 2 PM ferry back to Tung Chung). Any advice? I also thought perhaps I should do things the other way around, start at Tai-O end in Mui Wo. Suggestions?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,312 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong Layover

Don't forget to allow a max of 1 hour to get through immigration. Others report it taking as little as 20 min but I always arrive at busy times ;-(

7. Re: Hong Kong Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 07:16