We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egg, peanut and tree allergies - what to eat?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Egg, peanut and tree allergies - what to eat?

Hi:

We are visiting HK this March with my 7-yr old son who is allergic to eggs, peanuts and tree nuts such as almonds, cashew nuts, etc. We will be visiting Victoria Peak, Po Lin, and spending our time in Kowloon.

1. How is the allergy awareness in restaurants? Can I trust the waiter when he says that the food is safe?

2. Are there any HK-specific foods that he should specifically be avoiding?

3. My son loves seafood as well as meat. What can you recommend that won't contain eggs, peanuts and treenuts?

4. Is there some packed ready-to-eat brand of food that I can carry for him when we are out on a day trip?

Please advise. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Regards,

D

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
866 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egg, peanut and tree allergies - what to eat?

I'm no expert but I would say:

1. No - I doubt waiting staff in HK have much appreciation for food allergies

2. Anything fried. Peanut oil is used widely in HK for frying (deep and shallow) plus fried rice will also contain egg as well anything that has been battered (i.e. soaked in egg/flour then deep friend).

3. Steamed fish?

4. I would go to a supermarket such as Citysuper or Taste and buy some plastic box takeout with boiled rice and some meat/veg.

You will have a hard time (but not impossible) with your son's diet here. Self-preparation of food may be your safest option.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,052 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egg, peanut and tree allergies - what to eat?

I agree with post #1. Allergy awareness is practically non existent. Peanut oil is your biggest concern. Even if they are aware, cross contamination is a problem.

3. Re: Egg, peanut and tree allergies - what to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 00:05
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,291 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egg, peanut and tree allergies - what to eat?

This is the weirdest post I've seen in a long time. I think we should keep it on.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Egg, peanut and tree allergies - what to eat?

Try and obtain a card of sorts which states your son's allergies in traditional Chinese. This hopefully might be at least some help in alerting staff.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
700 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Egg, peanut and tree allergies - what to eat?

You may find some tips in the link:

tripadvisor.com/…7678129

As #1 post said, peanut oil is widely use in cooking in Hong Kong, and you can hardly tell if the food contains peanut oil. Even the most innocent-looking fish balls soup noodle might contains peanut oil, not to mention the traditional style steamed fish on which we generally pour a generous helping of hot oil over the fish before serving. If you go out and eat anything steamed or poached, tell the waiter, repeatedly, don't put any oil on the food. Do soya beans consider to be nuts? If yes avoid soya sauce at all costs.

7. Re: Egg, peanut and tree allergies - what to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 05:16