We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Dim Sum place for one person

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Good Dim Sum place for one person

Hi, my partner has some work to attend and I'll be exploring the city much on my own - any good places to recommend for Dim Sum?

I search the threads and found a few names - which is easier for one person dining?

What price range would you expect? thanks

Dynasty

Fu Ho

Ho Choi Seafood Restaurant

Tim Ho Wan

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,038 posts
5,330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Dim Sum place for one person

Dim Sum.... Hong Kong.... Its actually more difficult to find bad dim sum than good dim sum here. This is the one thing the local yum cha and dim sum house seem to always get right. Its not always fantastic but it is usually very good!

See the Top Question (FAQ) - Dining, Dim Sum & Delicacies on the right side of this page. Lots of mentions and recommendations there. Loads of choices, doesn't really matter if you go solo, couple or a groups. ;-)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Dim Sum place for one person

Well, I have to disagree with BradJill on that one......Dim Sum (like most chinese food) is better with more people. Frankly, I would find it very difficult to enjoy a Dim Sum experience if there were just one of me. Can't you do dim sum n a day your partner will be with you?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,345 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Dim Sum place for one person

If you are a small eater then it can be difficult. But you can always take away the leftover. Not to mention most of the early morning dim sum customers are single. It depends on your definition of "better".

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,745 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Dim Sum place for one person

Dim sum can be enjoyed as a single or in a group. Single men enjoying a couple of dim sum dishes, a pot of tea, and the morning paper has been going on in HK for years.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Dim Sum place for one person

Dim sum for a group is only for practical reasons, where you can share a variety of dishes. There is no rule saying it can't be for one. Just pick any restaurant you like and go. Maybe you only order a few items and finish them, or you can order many and have left-overs.

TSS is right, my father had the yum cha habit everyday after his morning exercise by himself for decades, as many Hong Kong retirees do.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,038 posts
5,330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Dim Sum place for one person

Hiya HK_Observer,

My point to the OP is that it is perfectly fine for you to try dim sum as a solo diner. Restaurants don't stop you, families don't stare at you and generally speaking, nobody really cares that you are dining on your own.

I've taken dim sum many times as a solo diner and not once has there been any issues with me doing so. In short, I wouldn't discourage the OP from doing this simply because they are dining on their own.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Dim Sum place for one person

Quite right. I certainly wouldn't want to imply there would be any socio-cultural issue with eating dim sum alone. I was totally focused on what HappyFeet calls the "practical reasons." Trying lots and lots of small plates is part of the fun.....and having been raised by a Depression-era mother, I can't bear the thought of leaving behind too many left-overs!

But if it's OP's only chance, then some dim sum is better than no dim sum!

United States
Level Contributor
91 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Dim Sum place for one person

Hi OP! What area are you looking for? Hong Kong side or Kowloon side or does it not matter?

I did some searching for solo dim sum as well since I probably will be doing that as well in the near future. Tim Ho Wan is a 1 Michelin star restaurant so I think the food must be good, but I know the lines are massive. Then again, the people who told me that went as a table of 6 so it is probably easier as a solo since they can squeeze you into a table to share with others (which is common practice). In my research I also found a not so traditional dim sum places (the ones where there isn't a cart whereas you order and they bring... I think Tim Ho Wan is the same way, no carts), it is a place called DimDim Sum Specialty Store. I read on Openrice.com that they had good reviews with a couple of locations.

Hope you will enjoy your HK trip!

Edited: 20 February 2013, 00:02
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,038 posts
5,330 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Dim Sum place for one person

>>>>>In my research I also found a not so traditional dim sum places (the ones where there isn't a cart whereas you order and they bring... I think Tim Ho Wan is the same way, no carts), it is a place called DimDim Sum Specialty Store.<<<<

The dim sum trolleys are not so common to be honest. Lack of space makes it easier to just bring out the baskets after you order them.

If its the trolley experience you are interested in, a popular option for visitors is one of the Maxim's branches. See link (w/pictures)

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Note that Maxim's is not everyones choice for better dim sum but it is an easy place to dine at as a visitor and they are quite used to having western guests so there will most likely be English speaking staff around to help you make selections if needed.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Dim Sum place for one person

One of my friends recommended this place in Mongkok near Prince Edward. The setting seems like a fast food place, but the dim sum looks pretty good.

www.openrice.com/restaurant/sr2.htm…