We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Hong Kong

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Hong Kong

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend visit Hong Kong next week. Are the prices still cheaper in HK compared to Europe? I want to buy some Oakley sunglasses and Nike running shoes. Is it possible to buy shoes for bigger (europe) foot?! I'm looking for size 44-45 (europe) / 10,5-11,5 (us). Does anyone know the price difference?

Mentioned in this post
United States
Level Contributor
113 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Hong Kong

Hi! I am not sure about the prices of sneakers but I know you will be able to find your size at most of the stores if you are leaning towards 10.5. My brother is a 12 and he couldn't find anything on the spot, the stores all said they had to place an order for him.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
54 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Hong Kong

For running shoes go to Mongkok take the MRT exit "Bank Centre and when you walk up the stairs keep walking the same direction and cross the street (Sai Yeung Choi Street) the street parellel to it or one behind it has many shoes shops.

Sunglasses - just make sure you don't buy at Nathan Road ........go to Optical88 or any of the other chain shops, so you won't get ripped off for sure.

Mentioned in this post
Mongkok
Mongkok
2,994 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Nathan Road
Nathan Road
1,900 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,367 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Hong Kong

The street referred to above is Fa Yuen St just south of Argyle St. There might be more choices in styles but not necessarily the really large sizes. However, like ASL211 said, 10.5 should be available.

Note that the shopping mall shops really have the same prices these days, and the larger ones have a good selection as well. Try those first before going to Fa Yuen St.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Hong Kong

Sneaker St is overrated IMO. Small shops, crowded, difficult to try stuff on. Try sports shops in malls and dept. stores first. Maybe sole brand shops in malls too, though I don't rate them especially highly either.

Fremantle
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Hong Kong

Hi

I've been going to Hk every year since 1987, I have size 42 eur and I think n all that time Ive managed to buy two pairs of shoes, it's positively depressing shopping for shoes if you have bigger feet.

Best bet would be the Nike store at factory outlet near the airport and Mong Kok

We do get a lot of bargains tho, try Granville Rd Tsim Sha TSui ( look hard) and some factory outlets in the lanes in central.

Mentioned in this post
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tsim Sha Tsui
1,498 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Hong Kong

Thanks for al the answers! I'm going to check it out next week!

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Hong Kong

Hi, I'm going to HK in April and would like to know if the designer bags are cheaper than Singapore?

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Hong Kong

how would we know if you dont say how much they cost in singapore?

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in Hong Kong

You shouldn't really jump in on another post, but the answer is probably yes as there's no import duty much in HK.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
6,196 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in Hong Kong

Hello Autumn1705

This particular discussion is titled 'shopping in Hong Kong' so its understandable why you've posted here. However, the proper etiquette in forums like this would be to start new forum threads with a question that is not specific to that being asked/discussed on the thread you are reading.

Adding a new question on the end of the thread prevents readers from discovering your question and providing you with responses that might be helpful. You can start a new question (thread) by clicking the blue 'Ask a question' link at the top or bottom of this page.

Also, do make sure to use the Search Box, type your question there first to see if it has been asked before. Might be that a past discussion thread can give you the information you are looking for.

Hope this is useful.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 02:05