We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we reconsider visiting HK in July?

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
538 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Should we reconsider visiting HK in July?

Have been reading posts regarding the weather in early July in Hong Kong. We are from Australia, would I be correct in saying the weather would be like Queensland in say Jan/Feb. I'm reading its humid, chance of typhoon, lots of rain??? Any help would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we reconsider visiting HK in July?

What you read about the weather conditions is correct, but it is worse than Queensland because of the air pollution. It is more comfortable in the northern winter, which is warmer than winter in southern parts of Australia.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
236 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we reconsider visiting HK in July?

If you're very concerned about the weather, I would suggest you to visit HK around November/December.... Dry and cool, pollution tends to be lighter due to strong monsoon winds.

Avoid spring and summer as it tends to get warm and very humid.

Other than weather, there're certain periods where HK will be filled with visitors:

Mid Jan - Mid Feb: Chinese New Year

Mid March - Rugby Sevens (Of course if you're in for rugby this is the time to visit!)

1st week of May (May Day)

1st week of July (HK SAR Day)

1st week of October (China National day - golden week)

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,149 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we reconsider visiting HK in July?

July doesn't necessarily mean lots of rain. We can get days of rain or days or sunshine. It's just the luck of the draw. It will be hot and humid for sure.

Pollution is always an issue in HK. In the summer it is actually not as bad since the wind is blowing in from the south.

The best months to visit weather-wise are between October and May. October, Christmas, Chinese New Year, and April might see higher hotel prices.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
6,191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we reconsider visiting HK in July?

It will be hot, which bothers some more than others. There might be rain! There will be larger crowds due to summer holidays. These conditions make it less favorable to visit compared to the months suggested by Sammyfloyd. Just something to think about if you've choice about when to come. If not, I'd just come anyway, we are well equiped city for the rain, lots of covered walkways and places to duck out of the rain, if we have it.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
538 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we reconsider visiting HK in July?

Thank you everyone for your contributions. I still dont know what to do, probably leaning towards - just go, surely it wont be that humid and hot and unbearable!!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we reconsider visiting HK in July?

i always go in july for a bit of r&r there. have done for many years. its warm, hot enough to swim every day( a hotel with a pool is essential) and the weather seems stable. and the humidity doesn't seem too bad either.

actually its quite pleasant and good for a tanning those melanomas...

i'd go.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we reconsider visiting HK in July?

bendigo in summer can be seriously hot but dry. hk is pretty mild in comparison. but more humid. and the sun does not burn anywhere near as much in hk. i think the haze keeps the uv down.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
613 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we reconsider visiting HK in July?

It will be hot and humid, but the pollution problem subsides during the summer when the winds blow in from the south.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
538 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we reconsider visiting HK in July?

Ok, we're going!!!! Yay..... thanks for your advice, this is why I LOVE TA sooo much. Now to begin the planning! 2 weeks from 1st July. Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully accepted, accomodation, do's and dont's etc especially as we've never been before. I'M EXCITED.....

10. Re: Should we reconsider visiting HK in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 05:17