We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bank notes

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
bank notes

Hearing that now government only accepted note from 2010 up.

The problem is I already have a plan to traveling on this may and already change some money and I didn't realize until now that some of them are 98, 99.

Is there any suggestion for this case or can I just keep it and change them when I get there ?

Thank you so much for the response

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
236 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bank notes

Not heard of this. I still see notes on pre-97 on the streets (although getting rare)

Interesting that you actually get these from money changers

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
704 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bank notes

Where did you get this information from?

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bank notes

The information is incorrect. The 2010 Series Hong Kong Banknotes (issued between 2010 and 2012) are the latest issue but all previous banknotes remain legal tender and are only withdrawn when their condition makes them unfit for circulation;

www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/currency/2010_series/

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
574 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bank notes

Some retailers do not accept the old series $1000 bills due to counterfeit issues. Otherwise, you should not have problems using the other denominations.

Don't expect taxis to give you change for a large bill for a short ride.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bank notes

As my friends who read some article about hongkong bank notes and she will be my partners so this information make us a little bit worry

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bank notes

my friend have 2 notes each $1000 because when she need to change the money changer not have the $HKD in small amount

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bank notes

All reply and this information such as a relieve for me.

I will inform my friend and we will have no worries about this issue.

Thank you so much..

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bank notes

So you have 98/99 HKD1000 notes- still in crisp ,almost mint condition?

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bank notes

@mKiaratravel actually my friend have and she's said in the mint conditon, she's got it at money changer in Jakarta. @hkg2009hkg, so its better to change the $1000 into small amount before we get there or we just spend it at there ?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: bank notes

Hi again, thanks..hmm, let me think over..may wish to PM you,as I collect 1998 HKD1000 notes.

Well, easily to use it when you reach HKIA- 2 on loan Octopus cards- HKD300, then top up HKD 150 each- HKD300-- change HKD400-- or get group discounted airport express..or buy Hk celco prepaid SIMs...see so easy to say "goodbye" to a HKD1000 note.