We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AUD exchange in Honk Kong

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
AUD exchange in Honk Kong

Hi my fellow TA'ers,

Another question. When we travel we usuallly take a heap of AUD with us in cash (pleae dont Boo hoo me) and exchange as we go (this is really great in Thailand as there are exchange booths on every corner and it's easy).

Can we do the same in Hong Kong? or do we need to organise HKD before we go?

What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance folks :-)

Mentioned in this post
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,390 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AUD exchange in Honk Kong

There are exchange booths in a lot of places, esp. those frequent by tourists. I understand people usually get the best rate at stalls in the Chung King Mansion. Me, I take my bank ATM card and withdraw cash as needed. There are many more ATM machines than currency exchange booths.

Mentioned in this post
Chung King Mansion
Chung King Mansion
502 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
North Queensland
Level Contributor
109 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AUD exchange in Honk Kong

Hi

I take some cash and then my ATM card and withdraw as I go. I am with NAB and their fees are very reasonable so just check with your bank. It needs to be a have the Plus or Cirrus symbol on the back of the card and I find HSBC and Bank of China ATMs to have the best rates. Also, pick up a local SIM or the Telstra costs will kill you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,404 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AUD exchange in Honk Kong

we also take AUD with us when we travel overseas.

yes, we went past the Chung King Mansion (at the TST end of Nathan Road ) and found good exchange rates there.

if you walk further in from the street frontage, the rates are slightly better so do a quick walk in to the building before you change your money at the first money changer you come to.

Mentioned in this post
Chung King Mansion
Chung King Mansion
502 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AUD exchange in Honk Kong

It really is not a good idea to take a substantial amount of cash. If you lose it or it gets stolen, your holiday is ruined. It is much better to take a debit card and get money out of ATMs as you need it. The exchange rate is often better too.

Melbourne, VIC
Level Contributor
398 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AUD exchange in Honk Kong

Every year we buy h.k. dollars in oz before we go over to h.k. we also take over ozzie dollars h.k.currency goes up to the $1000.00 note so it does not take up much room,we always pay our hotel bill in h.k. dollars as above have said ther are money changing booth,s nearly on every corner,the buy rate for h.k. dollar,s in oz was $7.70 h.k.to one aussie dollar 2day,as always enjoy your stay in hong-kong.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,326 posts
6,125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AUD exchange in Honk Kong

Good conversation taking place here. You can also visit the Top Question (FAQ) - Exchanging money in Hong Kong - which is located on the right hand side of this page. Similar past discussions are stored there that are word reading.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,748 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AUD exchange in Honk Kong

You will definitely get a much better exchange rate in HK than in Australia.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: AUD exchange in Honk Kong

Never exchange AUD in Australia. It's beyond ridiculous how poor our rates are in comparison to those you get in HK! HK is far more competitive and the chance of you getting a better deal in Australia (as opposed to HK) is extremely slim.

I also think there is nothing wrong with bringing over AUD cash. Provided you have a system of keeping your money safe, then, there's no real issues. We always bring cash instead, but, I do have debit/credit cards as back-up sources (which, so far, I've never really used for cash withdrawals).

Edited: 27 March 2013, 06:35
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AUD exchange in Honk Kong

Fabbo! I'm really grateful for your advice. :-) thank you ... Can't wait to board our flight :-)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AUD exchange in Honk Kong

Arisanosila! Love your form. Yes, like I mentioned we only do cash. I also have a back up card, but mostly cash as best rate in the country of origin.

Thanks for you advice , I really appreciate it and will do :-)