We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kowloon hotel locations, how many days for Disneyland

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
448 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Kowloon hotel locations, how many days for Disneyland

We are planning a 7 night trip to Hong Kong in September, for 2 adults and 2 children aged 5 and 1. We want to stay in Kowloon in a hotel with a suite so we have a separate bedroom/living area. I am considering the Harbour Grand, Harbour Plaza Metropolis and Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees. However these all look to be a bit out of the way. Which is in the most convenient location (either for MTR, shops, restaurants). Any other hotels I should consider? Our last trip we stayed at Harbour Plaza North Point which I liked but this time would like to stay in Kowloon.

We also want to go to Disneyland. I was thinking 4 nights in Kowloon and 3 in a Disneyland hotel. Is that too long for Disneyland, would a 5 and 2 nights be better? I understand Disneyland is on Lantau Island and I wouldn't mind going to see the Giant Buddha and doing some other sightseeing on Lantau Island for a day. Is that easy to organize, are there any tours of Lantau or is it easy to do by public transport. The only tours I've found are long days departing from Hong Kong Island or Kowloon, I thought there might be something if you were already on Lantau Island.

Sorry for all the questions, I thought I'd put them in one thread rather than having a lot of separate threads.

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kowloon hotel locations, how many days for Disneyland

I would just stay in Kowloon the whole time. Taking the MTR out to Disneyland and the Big Buddha are easy and efficient, and you have the advantage of staying where all the restaurants and shopping are in Kowloon. As you stated, the hotels you list are a bit out of the way, but Harbour Plaza Metropolis is only a short walk from Hung Hong (depending on your definition of short). With two kids you might not want to be doing that too much. Taxis are quite cheap, so if you stayed at Harbour Grand, you would just catch taxis to/from TST. There is no need to do any organised tours - just do it yourself. You are obviously familiar with Hong Kong and the public transport system and know how easy it is to get around, but you should try to be a bit closer to the action, if that is what you want. The Langham, in Mongkok, is a popular choice but not sure if it is in your price bracket. There are numerous hotels along Nathan Road in TST, just look at one of the colsolidation sites such as Expedia or Wotif for some more ideas. Others will have some more advice.

2. Re: Kowloon hotel locations, how many days for Disneyland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 00:19
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kowloon hotel locations, how many days for Disneyland

Unless you're such a huge fan of Disney, then, 3 night is way too much, I think. The maximum stay, I'd say is 2 nights, which should be more than enough, as there's not too much to do around there after Disneyland closes, as opposed to staying on Kowloon. Although, with young children, you might not want too many late nights, which might mean that's okay then.

I would leave Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees off your list. Harbour Grand is better located. Are you restricted to just these hotels? I don't know what the prices are like, but have you considered family rooms at the Holiday Inn Golden Mile, YMCA Salisbury, Langham Place Hotel, Royal Plaza Hotel, Hotel Benito, Caritas Bianchi Lodge (these are all varying prices)?

Lantau Island is easy to do on your own using public transport.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kowloon hotel locations, how many days for Disneyland

A lot of people like the Disney hotels for the total Disney experience. Apparently kids love it. I can do without it myself, which is why I would stay in town, and just take the train out to Disneyland. It's maybe a half an hour 45 minutes depending on where you stay. But I must say, if I was a kid I might like to stay there for a bit. However Hong Kong Disneyland is also very small. I'd allocate maybe one day. Without young kids I probably wouldn't even bother going :-).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,229 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kowloon hotel locations, how many days for Disneyland

The group that runs Harbour hotel properties like to use strange location for their hotels. Harbour Grand on the Island side is arguably the best located one already. Harbour Grand Kowloon is at Hung Hom and not served by MTR. There is also quite a bit of construction going on so it's a bit of a zoo at the Whampoa area. Harbour Plaza Metropolis sits next to Hung Hom station which is not bad, but the hotel is nowhere near Harbour Grand's caliber. Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees is located at a relatively old residential neighborhood with no MTR access and nothing to see nearby. My suggestion is you either stay put at Harbour Grand HK side, or if you don't mind downgrading a bit, stay at Harbour Plaza Metropolis. Do consider other hotels though.

Disneyland is relatively small. One day to visit the park is enough.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,347 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kowloon hotel locations, how many days for Disneyland

Out of the three, Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees is really out of the way.

Harbour Grand is waterfront. If you want a harbourview room, where you can see cruise ships sailing through up close from your own room, that can be the hotel for you. With a short taxi ride or their own hotel shuttle to Tsim Sha Tsui, it is not bad location-wise. I will take it any time.

Harbour Plaza Metropolis doesn't have much for a view (only of buildings around). It is within 5 minutes walking from the Hung Hom MTR Station and close to many cross-harbour tunnel buses (at the tunnel toll plaza stop). Transportation-wise, it is quite convenient. And it has a big outdoor swimming pool.

Disney hotels are close to Disneyland, but are far from everywhere else tourists are interested to visit.

Edited: 05 April 2013, 04:56
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
236 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kowloon hotel locations, how many days for Disneyland

You seem to favour Cheung Kong series of hotels. Their hotels are relatively poorly located in general.

Off your list, I think Harbour Grand is the best in terms of quality.

You can also consider the following (I'm recommending based on the same price range as Harbour Grand/Plaza):

YMCA Salisbury - I remember their family suite is reasonably priced.

Royal Plaza Hotel

Casa Hotel Hong Kong

Cosmo Hotel Hong Kong

Melbourne
Level Contributor
448 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kowloon hotel locations, how many days for Disneyland

Thanks for your suggestions of other hotels. The main reason I was looking at those hotels was because they had rooms that would accommodate 4 people and had suites with a separate bedroom and living room. When I have gone into the websites for the YMCA, Langham and the Holiday Inn they have said no more than 3 to a room, even for the family suite at YMCA which I thought was odd. I might be best to enquire direct with the hotels than going through the online booking registers.

Is there a special event on in Hong Kong in mid September as I have found some hotels have a surcharge during the week commencing 11 September?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kowloon hotel locations, how many days for Disneyland

Hi, I have not been to HK yet, we are going this Oct, but hopefully I can help. Yes YMCA Salisbury can have 2 adults and 2 kds in the famiil suite. That is what we have booked and tht is defintely fine. Room configuration looks perfect for us ( 2 adults and 2 kids - 4 and 2yrs).

My girls are disney mad and I want them to have the full experience. We are staying 6 nights at YMCA, then heading out to disney and will check bags in at disney hotel then head to dsneyland and head back to hotel after the parade. I imagine the girls will be stuffed. We will stay two nights at disney hotel, so the next day will be very relaxed and enjoy the hotel facilities (breakfast with characters, swimming pool etc). During the day if there was something we want to do again at disneyland we wil head over, but thinking will give the girls an arvo nap then head over for the fireworks in the evening.

I don't think we would get anything out of disney hotel if only staying one night, as the whole day will be at the park anyway. So I think 2 nights is perfect. 3 would be too much I think :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
448 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kowloon hotel locations, how many days for Disneyland

Thanks for your post Emma. Perhaps the family room at the YMCA was booked for my dates as when I went to the online reservation part to check availability I just got a message "you are putting too many people in this room". I hadn't actually selected a room, just dates and 2 adults/ 2 children.

I will send out some emails to hotels direct and ask about availability.