We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

We're on a tight budget and i am not too impressed with the choices for Hostels in Hong Kong (including Dragon Hostel which seems to be the popular recommendation).

I've had many great experiences with airbnb in other countries, but i know it's highly dependent on the local laws and the culture. For instance, i heard from a chinese friend not to use in in mainland because of scams.

I thought it might be wise to ask the Hong Kong experts what they thought about the use of this site for their location.

Is it "legal"?

Anything i should be weary about?

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

For those who have used AirBnB, do you mind providing links to the apartments you stayed in? It's good just to know which ones are legitimate and should hopefully have no issues.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

arisanosila,

The best way to deal with airbnb is to choose hosts with a lot of reviews, and to read those reviews carefully to see if they sound phony or not.

As opposed to TA, airbnb will only let you review a host or a renter if there has been an actual money transaction between the two and the scheduled stay is over. Extra layer of protection for you :)

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
97 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

RE: Concerns about Airbnb in Hong Kong

Much like when considering anything, you should read a wide range of user reviews before making a decision. I stayed three weeks at a guesthouse I found on Airbnb. The owners were incredibly nice and the guesthouse was as clean as any 4-star hotel that I've stayed at in Hong Kong in the past.

Tangerang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

Hi,

Can you please let me know the name of the place?

I am traveling next year and in need of an affordable place to stay

Cebu
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

Hi. I have booked an apartment that will fit my family thru airbnb just this week for our trip - March of next year. We have constant communication with the host. She seems very friendly. She even answers my questions very quick. She has in fact given me a powerpoint file of the direction of the apartment and a quick view of Hk. I guess airbnb is safe. You just have to choose a reliable hosts thru their reviews and verifications. Contact first the host. Ask many questions. And then you will know if ita a scam or not. I hope this helps... As for us, we are very excited for our first family trip next year!

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

I used airbnb recently n book a unit in Hong Kong. The host Willy Li n mother Kitty Liu Prince Edward / Ladies Mkt Tung Choi Street unit) are greedy n ask for more money. We go along with them, pay extra hkd 750 jus bec he gv us the apt we want (lady mkt) for 4 days.As for prince Edward room is a damn lousy tiny room n they dare call it studio apt) n they want to put us there on 5th night.

We (3 adult n 3 kids) end up almost sleeping on the street bec the host want us out of apt to stay in tiny room which we not happy with on 5th day. (As Our email converse w them is apt not tiny rm b4 bookin) It's Sunday n we hardly can get any hotel . I search frantically n managed to get an apt at 4am which is very high price but I book it again thru airbnb. Also to prove airbnb of our situation. No regret very nice apt, worth the price.

After we return, complain to airbnb, very fast they arrange refund of hkd 750 we paid but not the last night which we hd not stayed in the tiny units.

Be careful if host trying to confuse n gv many reason jus to make u willingly pay them more. Keep receipt of any additional payment made to them.

Overall we had fun in Hong Kong except the stress we suffer fm host n the greedy host made us lost sleep for past 4 days.

Airbnb, I guess can only help to get bk wat we pay extra there. Read their terms on refund.

All short term rent for apt is illegal as Hong Kong govt does not allow short term accomo. N need hotel licence to operate.

Yes ,ask more question n test the host patience n sincerity. It's all about the level of risk you cld take if u book online n fm someone you don know. Best book hotel early. We encounter the problems bec it's all in a rush not get host clear confirmation n host take advantage of our situation.

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

I used airbnb recently n book a unit in Hong Kong. The host Willy Li n mother Kitty Liu Prince Edward / Ladies Mkt Tung Choi Street unit) are greedy n ask for more money. We go along with them, pay extra hkd 750 jus bec he gv us the apt we want (lady mkt) for 4 days.As for prince Edward room is a damn lousy tiny room n they dare call it studio apt) n they want to put us there on 5th night.

We (3 adult n 3 kids) end up almost sleeping on the street bec the host want us out of apt to stay in tiny room which we not happy with on 5th day. (As Our email converse w them is apt not tiny rm b4 bookin) It's Sunday n we hardly can get any hotel . I search frantically n managed to get an apt at 4am which is very high price but I book it again thru airbnb. Also to prove airbnb of our situation. No regret very nice apt, worth the price.

After we return, complain to airbnb, very fast they arrange refund of hkd 750 we paid but not the last night which we hd not stayed in the tiny units.

Be careful if host trying to confuse n gv many reason jus to make u willingly pay them more. Keep receipt of any additional payment made to them.

Overall we had fun in Hong Kong except the stress we suffer fm host n the greedy host made us lost sleep for past 4 days.

Airbnb, I guess can only help to get bk wat we pay extra there. Read their terms on refund.

All short term rent for apt is illegal as Hong Kong govt does not allow short term accomo. N need hotel licence to operate.

Yes ,ask more question n test the host patience n sincerity. It's all about the level of risk you cld take if u book online n fm someone you don know. Best book hotel early. We encounter the problems bec it's all in a rush n not get host clear confirmation n host take advantage of our situation.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

Hi, How was your airbnb experience. Have 5 days in HK and hotels are so pricey. Can you remember the name, area or contact details.

Thanks,

D, a fellow aussie

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

Hi,

The Apartments name or email contacts as I interested to book Hong Kong Apartments but need reliable host.

Thanks

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,199 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Using Airbnb in Hong Kong

While I have no specific recommendation, I have been switching to airbnb and service apartments for many Asian cities. Just booked 6 lodgings for Oct Asia business trip, 4 are airbnb, entire apt, 2 are 5 stars hotels. Compared to 100% hotels in the past decades.

Always good experience, 1/3 or 1/2 price but much larger 1-2-3 bedrooms apartments with kitchen, washer and dryer, living room, private access. We get to play residents, pretend we live in those cities, Tokyo, Seoul, Guangzhou, taipei, HK, etc. we "go home" everyday, instead of a small hotel room. No matter how fancy or expensive the hotels maybe, simply no comparison to a nice modern apartment.

Even if it is only 2 days, we actually "lived" in that city.