We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best hotel for a family of 4 with harbor view?

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
195 posts
296 reviews
Save Topic
best hotel for a family of 4 with harbor view?

our family with 2 kids will be travelling to HK for new years and we definitely want a room with a view of victoria harbor. though we might fight the crowds to watch the fireworks outside, we want to be able to view the fireworks from our room if necessary. i am so annoyed that when you click on the "family" tab for best family hotels on tripadvisor, many of the hotels that are top ranked have zero rooms that can accomodate 2 adults and 2 kids. it's insane. no offense to families out there with a single child, but a lot of us have more than 1 kid. i expect european hotels to not be able to fit families, but hotels in ASIA? COME ON MAN! anyways, enough ranting. HK experts and travelers with kids: please help me! where should we stay? our budget is less than $550 USD per night and we don't want to get two separate rooms!

thanks!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best hotel for a family of 4 with harbor view?

Hi, wah sensing your frustration.

Have you checked YMCA Salisbury?

Holiday Inn Golden Mile

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best hotel for a family of 4 with harbor view?

The Holiday Inn doesn't have harbour view, I don't think.

If you want to view the new year pyro display from the room, and must have a family (of 4) room, your choices are *very* limited. YMCA Salisbury mKiara mentioned is good.

Can inquire into:

Marco Polo Hong Kong. (Not sure if family rooms offer harbourview. Not sure if harbourview would cover IFC-2 where the pyro display shoots out from.)

Harbour Plaza Metropolis. I think I've heard they have family rooms. And they have some harbourview rooms. (Not sure if there are family rooms that have harbourviews, and whether they have a good vantage point for IFC-2.)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best hotel for a family of 4 with harbor view?

What about adjoining rooms? - Hotel ICON, Harbour Grand Kowloon, Harbour Grand HK

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best hotel for a family of 4 with harbor view?

Harbour Grand Hong Kong - cannot see the pyros.

Harbour Grand Kowloon - too far to see the pyros, even if possible.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
195 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best hotel for a family of 4 with harbor view?

hmmmm....ok any other options?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: best hotel for a family of 4 with harbor view?

Hi I feel your pain, we are a family of five and once you factor in two rooms, the prices are horrendous! I have heard that some hotels will offer connecting rooms, and that others (Novotel?) will offer reduced price on a second, connecting room for children. Approaching the hotels themselves may help. We are looking at Langham Place and even though they offered no availability on their website, when I emailed them directly, they offered us a suite with lounge access and two extra beds, at a great rate :). Best of luck!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best hotel for a family of 4 with harbor view?

These are the hotels with harbor view I have stayed in, I have no idea where the firework is in the harbor. Just get a suite or 2 side by side rooms.

On HK side, Grand Hyatt and Renaissance Harbourview both have great harbor view, Hyatt has much bigger room. US$550 should be good for Grand Hyatt. or two smaller rooms at Renaissance Harbourview.

On Kowloon side, my room in Shangri-La had great view.

Harbour Grand Kowloon (I think it was New World Habourview before?)

Intercontinental Stanford, Nikko, Peninsula, Sheraton.

Others I like to try YMCA and Hullett House if this has a harbor view.

Marco Polo has big rooms and harbor view, but I am not sure if that has view of the fireworks.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 23:36
New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best hotel for a family of 4 with harbor view?

The hotels mentioned in #4 would actually probably be OK for views. The New Year's Eve Countdown pyrotechnics display is no longer focused on Two IFC in Central. Since last year the display has been moved to Wan Chai and takes place from HK Convention & Exhibition Centre and also some of the surrounding buildings and barges on the harbour. Other hotels to consider, although I don't know what room types are available, would be Excelsior Causeway Bay, and although not right on the harbour side, harbour view rooms at Metropark Causeway Bay have excellent views of this part of the harbour. Of those mentioned in #7, harbour views from Hullett House, which is low-rise, are, I believe obstructed by HK Museum of Art and HK Cultural Centre.

9. Re: best hotel for a family of 4 with harbor view?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 05:16