We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy PKT to HKG ticket now or wait?

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Buy PKT to HKG ticket now or wait?

Hello, Hong Kong TAers! We are planning a retirement trip to Southeast Asia for next Feb. 4 to Mar. 4 and Hong Kong is our last stop. I have done a little research for HK and lurked here on the forum a bit, but major planning is in the future (we only have 3 nights there unfortunately.) My question is to buy our tickets now to HKG from Phuket or wait.

The Air Asia flights are quite cheap already (without the add ons!!) but will there ever be a great sale between now and closer to March?

Here are our issues--we have some excess luggage weight due to snorkel equipment and wet suits, so we have to be able to buy extra kgs, which I know can be done (sometimes) on Air Asia. The three flights I am looking at are:

Air Asia (about $350USD all in for 2 people including the excess weight)

Dragon Air (about $573 USD for 2 no info on paying for excess baggage)

Thai Smile (about $574 USD for 2--they did not answer my email about excess baggage and I have no other info)

Any recommendations on which to choose and when to buy? I would prefer the Dragon Air one because it gets in to HKG earlier in time for dinner, but the price on the Asia Air is hard to ignore.

Do some of Asia Air's promos not allow excess baggage pre-pay? Once I did a "dummy" reservation and they wouldn't show the excess baggage pull-down. Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated.

( FWIW, we are flying Cathay Pacific from the US with FF miles, but were told we couldn't fly from Phuket with a layover in HKG on the ticket because of the different carrier.)

Thanks!

Sally in Seattle

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,423 posts
5,641 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy PKT to HKG ticket now or wait?

Hello kooikermom,

Unfortunately, while many of us live here, I doubt many of us book a lot of flights here from Phuket. In fact, our travel is the other way around. ;-)

>>>Any recommendations on which to choose and when to buy? I would prefer the Dragon Air one because it gets in to HKG earlier in time for dinner, but the price on the Asia Air is hard to ignore. <<<<

As you have said, there are advantages to both options so it seems entirely up to you, which to choose. I like saving money and don't mind giving up comfort on seats for short flights like this so I'd personally go with Air Asia. Also, dinner really is a late night activity in Hong Kong so, depending on the arrival time, you might not miss dinner anyway. Besides, if you are departing Phuket late, just have dinner there. There is fantastic food there, much spicier, more vibrant and flavorful than a lot of what you will find in Hong Kong and at a much, much lower price. But then, this is coming from someone who lives here and would prefer proper Thai dishes to what we have available. ;-)

Anyway, I'm sure some of my colleagues will offer you more productive and helpful thoughts. But I did want to point out that you might want to go ahead and post this on the Air Travel forum as well. There are some true flight gurus there that will surely have some helpful thoughts and tips for you regarding this leg and others for your upcoming SE Asia tour.

Best of luck with your trip planning.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy PKT to HKG ticket now or wait?

Hi Sally,

For Dragon Air's excess baggage,it is USD10/kg(2.2lbs).

As for Air Asia, you could also pre pay on their promo fares for checked baggage of different tiers from 15kg - 40kg. It is not sometimes, all the times which you can prepay for your checked baggage, either at time of booking flight or later(if you feel you require additional checked baggage allowance) via "manage my booking".

I will go with AirAsia..if not mistaken, flight gets into HKIA from HKT just before 8pm,which is still fine.

In fact, with the monies save, as advised by wiser BradJill, you could already had your dinner in Phuket,and may in fact prefer a late dinner or supper when back to HK...when the normal dinner crowd are lesser.

And one final thing, with the USD picking up grounds on value, it may just be another factor of consideration to go ahead and book.

On Air Asia, you need to go further than just "dummy" reservation,where you need to fill in details(name etc) then only the checked baggage pull down menu appears.

With Regards to Thai Smile's excess baggage, guess they could be following Thai Airways' s policy on this,i.e. USD25/kg.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy PKT to HKG ticket now or wait?

thank you both for such thoughtful and informational replies. I will jump on it now that I have more facts on hand.

Sally

4. Re: Buy PKT to HKG ticket now or wait?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 06:19