We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting China Z visas in Hong Kong

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting China Z visas in Hong Kong

Hi all

I'm aware that visa rules changed on 1st July. Does anyone know if it's still possible to get a Z visa (i.e. work visa) in Hong Kong for China? If so, what are the requirements?

Have been calling the relevant authorities and also some travel agencies in Hong Kong - but am struggling to get through so any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting China Z visas in Hong Kong

Welcome to the Z visa world!

The short answer to your query is, we don't yet know ... this is what happens every time regulations/ their interpretation/enforcement standards are changed. Foreign Affairs offices and embassies are still reading between the lines of the new regulations to see what they REALLY mean in practical terms, and travel agencies who previously took visa applications for processing become super-cautious so as not to disrupt their guanxi chain.

As far as I know (which isn't much of how the new regulations are being enforced), you can get your Z visa in Hong Kong IF your employer's letter states that it will be collected there. In some provinces, employers will only do this if you have current valid residence in HK. Some places only allow Z visa renewals for people already working legally in the mainland. Up until this month, some provinces have allowed employers to let anyone process Zs here.

I, too, look forward to seeing how the new regulations work out in practice!

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting China Z visas in Hong Kong

Thanks for your response.

Normally how soon after the rules change can we expect to get clarity or see normal service resume? Time isn't really on my side so I really need to work this out asap.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,698 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting China Z visas in Hong Kong

Be careful where you get it. Friends got theirs from one of the reputable TAs in HK last month and now discover that because they were actually processed ( possibly under- the- counter) in SZ they can only re-enter China via SZ, not Zhuhai or Macau, and presumably not PEK or PVG either!! A real mess for them.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 09:48
Gainesville...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting China Z visas in Hong Kong

I have the same question on this topic! I am traveling around SE Asia and will fly to Hong Kong as my employer said he would make sure the letter is stated for Hong Kong Embassy. However, I am just curious about the July changes and wondering if this has caused any affect on obtaining Z visa in Hong Kong.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting China Z visas in Hong Kong

I have been informed by someone managing an educational organization in Beijing that It isn't possible to obtain Z visas in HK anymore for foreign nationals and that those people have to apply in their home country (with CRC). However, I don't personally know anyone who has been through this process recently.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting China Z visas in Hong Kong

I've heard there are greater restrictions on getting Z's in HK on would-be teachers and anybody working for a company with "Education" or similar in its name. Should still be possible for corporate or multinational-type hires with appropriately prepared, employer-provided documentation.

Unlike an F or an L, a Z in HK is something I would take care of myself, by a visit directly to the Commissioner's Office in Wanchai...and not through an agent.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 17:08
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,077 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting China Z visas in Hong Kong

I am sure that the rules are very clear, it is just that nobody on this forum has any first hand experience yet. A phone call might work, assuming that someone there is answering the phone.

Hong Kong
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting China Z visas in Hong Kong

I am going through the process of applying for the Z visa now and I called the Chinese embassy in Hong Kong, they told me that as long as the invitation letter from your employer and the government states that you will apply in Hong Kong, then it is ok however your employer must clearly inform the government that it will be done in Hong Kong, otherwise it will be refused and you will be told to do it in your home country.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting China Z visas in Hong Kong

This requirement has been the case, in my experience, for many years. What was being said before suggested that the rules had altered substantially. Maybe they have since changed (again). Nice to receive first-hand updates.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting China Z visas in Hong Kong

Maybe a little off the topic but maybe some of you can give me a answer.

I was told to obtain a z-visa (to obtain work permit and residence permit) a bachalor degree or higherfrom a university is mandatory. Is this true? If yes how can I overcome this. I got a decent german apprenticeship as industrial business management assistant and more than 5 yrs work experiance.