We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight ticket has no suffix

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
flight ticket has no suffix

I booked a ticket for a friend but I forgot to include his suffix Jr., so his passport has,for example, Smith, John Jr., while the ticket only has Smith, John. Will this be a problem with HK immigration? I called the airline and they are charging $150 to add the suffix. I don't want to pay that much!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flight ticket has no suffix

I don't think it would be a problem with the HK immigration, but more like if the airline accepts this.

I have had similar problem before, and with a photo ID, I explained to the airlines that it is a mistake that was made during reservation, they manually made a note to their system and issued an amended boarding pass for me.

I think it's a chance only you can decide whether you want to take.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: flight ticket has no suffix

Thanks a lot for clearing that out. I was paranoid because the airline rep I spoke to said that HK immigration might detain my friend, but I guess she was just giving me a scare to shell out the extra $150. She did say she will put a note on the reservation so hopefully, that will take care of it.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,763 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight ticket has no suffix

Like Kate, I don't think this is an issue with Hong Kong Immigration. Of the many times I entered Hong Kong with a passport, not once was I asked to see the plane tickets. Why? You have already taken the flight and arrived Hong Kong, right? LOL If there is any concern, it may be whether you have the return ticket back to your point of origin if they are going to ask for a show of plane tickets. Your friend can well show the ticket (without the Jr suffix) and the boarding pass just used to travel to Hong Kong. Same ticket holder name, part 1 was used - and obviously accepted as your friend is already in Hong Kong. Part 2 should be just as good.

The only question, my thought is along the same line as Kate's, is whether the airline will have an issue with the passport name having a "Jr" but the plane ticket booking does not.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,840 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flight ticket has no suffix

Immigration will not even see the plane tickets.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,390 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flight ticket has no suffix

Assuming there is no reason for immigration to see the ticket. For vast majority of travellers that is true.

Why would the airlines rep scare you into paying $150? It's not like she gets a commission out of it. She's telling you the official policy. She can make a note in the system. It's always up to the check-in and gate agents to allow boarding, pending ID check.

It is a risk only the traveller can decide whether to take it or not.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 22:48
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flight ticket has no suffix

You have to change it or else your friend may get reject at check in desk. It happened to me once, so don't take the risk

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flight ticket has no suffix

Is the Suffix a part of the daily regular name? Or is it like an initial ?

The airline's policy is like this, any change after the tickets are purchased, any changes costs administration fee. It's just whether you want to take the risk or not.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,077 posts
5,332 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flight ticket has no suffix

Rkk27,

Were you unable to obtain your boarding pass during flight check-in because of a missing suffix on your plane ticket booking?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flight ticket has no suffix

BraddJill, i was denied boarding!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flight ticket has no suffix

I think it really is dependent on which airline you are taking.

My mom had her reservations under her married name, and when she went to check in counter, she had her passport which had her maiden name. With a photo ID, and explanation, the Cathay Pacific check in staff made a manual change on the system, and call to management, and printed out the boarding pass with the name that matched the passport in use. That was pretty nice of them.

They did remind us that when we book the reservations, do remember which passport you will be using first !