We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone connections

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone connections

I will be going to Hong Kong to study at the university at the end of this month. I would be pleased if you could let me know what is the best mobile company where I could buy a connection. I already have a good mobile phone so a contract is unnecessary. I will mainly need to use data to Skype with my parents.

Thank You

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,325 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone connections

A company that is the best for me may not be the best for you. Once you are the university , ask you friends/room mate there,

Also if you have a HKID card, you are eligible for monthly plans which are often cheaper.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 17:13
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone connections

One2free is pretty goodvand most important, stable. Chinamobile not too bad either. Anything except PCCW.

Congrats on your succesful admittance to one of our best universities in Asia!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,696 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone connections

3 is probably the worst data-wise. They frequently get no signal along certain parts of the MTR route.

Smartone, while popular, often sees network slowdown these days possibly due to user overload.

China Mobile typically offers the cheapest plans.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,066 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone connections

You don't need a data plan to use Skype, just find wifi.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phone connections

Wait until you get there and see what you fellow students are using. Speak to those who have been there for at least a year so they can tell you all the pitfalls and the costs attached.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phone connections

Free wifi in hk not stable at all and only selected places

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,696 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phone connections

If you will be studying for a somewhat lengthy time, it's best to purchase your own data plan.

8. Re: Mobile phone connections

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 05:17