We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription Progressive lens & frames--Hong Kong vs Beijing

Edmonton
Level Contributor
192 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Prescription Progressive lens & frames--Hong Kong vs Beijing

We start our journey in HK, then we're off to Beijing and tour around China and back to HK after 10 days. Where should I look for cheap frames and progressive lens (I'll bring my current glasses for them to make a copy of the prescription), somewhere in HK (we're staying near the Avenue of Stars) or Glasses City in Beijing? If Beijing, will I have enough time for them to make them if we're there for 2 full days (3 nights)? If I just want the lens, what's a good price to shoot for when I start bargaining (I have an old pair with a great frame, just needs new lens with the updated prescription).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,531 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription Progressive lens & frames--Hong Kong vs Beijing

Prices in HK are similar to those in Canada ( at Chinatown shops, not national chains), for name brand lenses.

Also keep in mind that if you switch lens brand, or even models from the same brand, you run the risk of not being able to adapt to the new lenses.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 01:00
Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription Progressive lens & frames--Hong Kong vs Beijing

There are fishhooks, to buying glasses in Hong Kong. I've never come across them personally, but my wife has. Just remember, that if there is anything wrong with the lenses, you could be a long way away from the shop where you bought them when you find out. And consumer protection in Hong Kong is not good. I suggest you search for "glasses" on this site and read the various threads.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,850 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription Progressive lens & frames--Hong Kong vs Beijing

It's hard to tell you what prices to shoot for. Lenses come at different prices depending on brands. You might want to shop around and try to compare apples-to-apples based on the brand and specifications. There is really no set rule.

I don't know about buying glasses in Beijing. I wonder if language barrier would be more of an issue there.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,327 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription Progressive lens & frames--Hong Kong vs Beijing

Here is a recent topic about buying progressive multi focus ultra thin light weight eye glasses in Shanghai, a fast read can give you some idea of cost and time it takes. In short, in Shanghai, it was 150 RMB (US$25) a pair, excellent quality, same costs US$450 in California, lenses only, no frame. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g308272-i2804-k676…

Edited: 26 August 2013, 06:25
5. Re: Prescription Progressive lens & frames--Hong Kong vs Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 05:17