We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clarification on getting chinese visa in hong kong

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
350 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
clarification on getting chinese visa in hong kong

Hello TA,

Need some help - I'm getting some conflicting information. I'm flying to HK from central asia later this week, the main reason being to get there and apply for a chinese visa. I contacted forever bright, an agency that assists in getting these things, and was told that they can apply for and get chinese visa [30 day single entry] for a fee that i'm willing to pay. but then I found this website today, as I was talking to a travel agent in Bishkek who used to handle chinese visas and said that I could now only apply for one in my home country - which would be the US and I'm not planning to return there for another few months as I'm taking a gap year from work. Here's the website: http://www.fmcoprc.gov.hk/eng/zgqz/hzsyjbtk/

So... question is does anyone know if the Chinese embassy in HK is going to be sympathetic to my cause or if I'm just going to end up being disappointed again. I was hoping to finish seeing the silk road sights in China.

Thank you!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,266 posts
5,506 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clarification on getting chinese visa in hong kong

Tourist visas for China are processed here in Hong Kong for foreign passport holders in large numbers every day of the year. There are a number of tourist agents like Forever Bright, CTS and CITS that will handle the visa processing for you or you can just visit the China Embassy in Hong Kong yourself and arrange visa. See the Top Question (FAQ) - [China (and Shenzhen) Visas] if you need to read up on additional information.

New York
Level Contributor
350 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clarification on getting chinese visa in hong kong

That was my understanding as well until I went to the website for the Chinese foreign ministry in HK. I understand there were lots of changes in mid-August - so just a couple of weeks ago - and I was looking for current info and the FAQs dont have it. I'm getting conflicting info from forever bright. I'll contact CTS or CITS and see if this gets any clearer. Thanks.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clarification on getting chinese visa in hong kong

Most visa agencies in HK process your applications in Shenzhen across the border, where the rules are different.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clarification on getting chinese visa in hong kong

Hello!

I wanted to get this all down before I forgot any of the details, because we just now got back to our Kowloon hotel from the embassy.

My fiance and I are US citizens and are traveling the world for a year. We also came to Hong Kong specifically to get our visa to China as we will not be in our country of nationality or residence within the 6 months prior to our trip.

Tips:

1. Get there at 8:00am. The embassy opens at 9:00, but they only let a certain number of people in each day. When we left at 11:15 they had already shut down the embassy due to the waiting area being over capacity, and they weren't going to open again until 2:00pm. The later you go, the longer the lines will be for everything from security to the bathrooms, the room will be hotter and stuffier, and there will be nowhere to sit except for on the floor.

2. We were in line outside by 8:35 (couldn't make it by 8), and it took us an hour to get through security and to get a number inside.

3. You need a NEW visa form as of today (new regulation came into effect on the 1st of September). It's the V.2013 that you need. Note: the V.2011A is no longer valid, and no supplement is needed. The forms are pretty much the same in terms of the information they ask for you, but it will have to be the V.2013 that you submit. The only additional piece of information required on the V.2013 that is not required on the V.2011A is the date that you have been issues a previous visa to China, if applicable.

4. You will be asked to write down on the V.2013 you itinerary in China. Besides your first acommodation you can just put city names and estimated arrival dates for those cities.

4. Once inside, they made an announcement stating that everyone needed a copy of their passport, which was a brand new requirement. There was therefore a mad dash for the only copy machine available, and you have to pay HK$1 per page.

5. You will need an accommodation booking IN YOUR NAME for mainland China. Note: my fiance and I booked just one double room and his name was not on the reservation so they would not accept his application even though we had our confirmation printed out showing that it was a room for two people, and I wrote a declaration on there that he was staying with me. We had to leave the building, go to the Renaissance hotel next door, and pay HK$10 to make a new reservation in his name, print it, and then cancel the reservation that we didn't actually want, and then go back to the embassy.

6. You do not need proof of funds or onward travel, but you do need proof of tickets into China, unless you are going to Guangzhou.

7. Between 9:35 when we made it into the building and 11:15 when we left, they made it through 74 numbers.

8. Same day service is not possible. You could pay extra to get it the next day, but the regular service, costing HK$1100 per person is for four day service, so for example drop off on Monday, pick up on Thursday. You pay on pickup and you must pay in cash and they won't give you change. You can pick up the visa between 10:00am and noon, and they also have afternoon hours.

Note: There is free wifi, drinking water and bathrooms in the building and electronics are permitted, but you cannot bring in lighters, pocket knives, scissors, etc. There is a luggage storage next door costing HK$20/piece/day.

Hope this was helpful. If you need any more information, please let me know!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,266 posts
5,506 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: clarification on getting chinese visa in hong kong

Emily H

Thank you very much for this detailed account of your experience obtaining an entry visa into China. This will be most helpful to future readers of this thread.

New York
Level Contributor
350 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: clarification on getting chinese visa in hong kong

Thank you for this. I had a bit of trouble getting there this morning and my 11:30 they has stopped people in line. I went back at 1:30 and they had about 20 people in line already and the ly had stopped taking any more saying that they have exceeded their quota for the day.

So I went up to the 40th floor to Sunrise agency and dropped my passport off there. Their fee fr 4-day processing is 1250 (also us citizen - same for single and double entry). Need a passport photo. Hopefully I pick up my visa on Friday by noon. The 2-day service was 1550 and I believe it was 1750 for rush.

Not sure about the quota mentioned on the sign this afternoon. Could just be that I hit it at the wrong time - beginning of the month and a Monday - or of they are just being overwhelmed in HK due to all the other regulation changes.

Shanghai, China
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: clarification on getting chinese visa in hong kong

Hey I am looking for good but not too expensive accommodation in HK to do my visa . Any clues?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: clarification on getting chinese visa in hong kong

We're staying here:

Lee Garden Guest House

Block A, 8th floor, Fok Kiu Mansion, 34-36 Cameron Road, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong.

Telephone: 852-23672284

Email: starguesthouse@gmail.com

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,266 posts
5,506 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: clarification on getting chinese visa in hong kong

3lisz

Welcome to the Hong Kong forum.

It would be best if you started a new question for your inquiry about accommodations in Hong Kong instead of jumping onto this topic about visa arrangements. This is better forum posting etiquette and you'll have much better responses to your question as well.

You can do this by pushing the Yellow Ask a Question button at the top of the forum page.

New York
Level Contributor
350 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: clarification on getting chinese visa in hong kong

Just to post an update... I went back to the agency earlier today - having selected the 4-day regular processing of visa since I wanted to enjoy HK and all its offerings. I was pretty excited, and had already purchased my ticket on the train from HK to Beijing. Well, I suppose I may have jinxed myself by doing that. Because I did not get a Chinese visa. The agency said my application was denied because I did not already have a Chinese visa in my passport. If I did, they seemed to imply, then it would have been ok. This is completely contrary to what the guy that took my application said which was that because I didn't already have one, then it would be a good thing. And because I wasn't a HK resident, then I could not apply here. Which is contrary to what the email response from the Chinese consulate itself was when I asked about this a week ago before coming to HK. So, anyway, all these rule changes seem to be sparking off lots of confusion among the agencies and consulate staff alike - at least that's my perspective. So, whenever possible, get your visa before you leave your home country. It's going to suck for those of us on lengthy trips where visa expiration before you arrive is a real issue. Anyhow, moving on to greener, visa-free pastures. Will have to visit China some other time.