We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day on Lantau Island Itinerary Help

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Day on Lantau Island Itinerary Help

We are thinking about visiting Lantau on our last day in HK as we will be heading in that direction for the airport. Our flight leaves at 6pm (and I'm not sure what the check in time is - 2 hours before?) We will check in our luggage earlier in the day at Central.

We want to visit the Giant Buddha, ride on the Cable Car, and perhaps visit Tai O. What would be a sensible order to do these things? Where would be a good place to get a last HK meal before our flight? Are there any other places that are worth a visit in the same area? We are a family of 5 - 2 adults, 3 kids aged 8 & 11.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day on Lantau Island Itinerary Help

Time may be tight if you add Tai O into your plan. You would need to start early. The Cable Car opens at 10am weekdays and 9am weekends. You may factor in 30min to 1 hour for queuing for the cable car (I am not really sure). But if you buy the crystal cabin tickets you get boarding priority. You are on a different queue. The cable car ride is about 20 minutes or so.

Figure about 2 hours to tour Big Buddha and Po Lin Monastery. Now... if you want to go to Tai O, you may add 3 hours for this round trip. To save some time, you may take a bus directly from Tai O back to Tung Chung instead of going back to Ngong Ping to ride the cable car down. Should check on the return bus schedule from Tai O to Tung Chung and before you tour at Tai O and mind your time. Sometimes, missing a bus can cause you to wait 30 minutes. The bus ride from Tai O to Tung Chung takes roughly 50 min.

You can take a blue taxi from Tai O directly to the airport if you want, if there is one waiting. Or else they may need to hail one in (which may take a little while).

If you don't want to eat at the airport, the place that makes the most sense for your meal before flight is probably at Citygate Outlet. There are several restaurants in the mall. (My favorite 2: Federal Palace (Cantonese) and Golden Shanghai Restaurant (Shanghai, Sichuan, Peking style).) There is also a foodcourt - common dining area, cafeteria style, many vending booths, all sorts of different food options.

From Tung Chung Citygate, you can take the S1 bus (maybe 30 minute - with waiting), or taxi (maybe 10-15 min) to the airport.

If you have your luggage checked in, arriving 90 minutes before flight time at the airport should be sufficient. Some travellers do it with 60 min but I would buffer more time in my plan.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day on Lantau Island Itinerary Help

Thanks Happyfeet. So, it would be best to do the Cable Car/Buddha, and then Tai O if we decided we could squeeze all three in? I guess because it will be a Saturday, then all will be crowded. It may be easier to do it another day, and do something else on our last day, but it seems silly to head out to Lantau Island another day when we need to go that way on our last day anyway.

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day on Lantau Island Itinerary Help

What airline are you travelling? They may offer 'in town' check in from one of the train station. That would save you a bit of time at the airport to enjoy the sights of Lantau.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day on Lantau Island Itinerary Help

Yes, we are doing the baggage check, hence why it works to do Lantau Island on our last day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day on Lantau Island Itinerary Help

Sorry, I misread your original paragraph :p

6. Re: Day on Lantau Island Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 06:20