We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 or 4 days in Hong Kong?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
3 or 4 days in Hong Kong?

Hello, I hope somebody can help! I am flying to HK and land on the Friday late afternoon. I was thinking of having the Saturday and Sunday in Hong Kong for definite. I cannot decide whether to have the Monday in HK too or whether to push on to my next destination that day. I am quite quick at sightseeing and don't like to hang around but at the same time don't want to rush everything and miss out!

Any replies would be greatly appreciated before I book the next part of my trip!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,038 posts
5,330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 or 4 days in Hong Kong?

Hello LittleLady74,

Welcome to the Hong Kong forum.

If you type 'how long to stay in Hong Kong' in the Search Box at the top of the page, you'll have access to lots of past discussions on this topic that might make valuable reading.

In the end, you have to know what it is that you are wanting to see/do/experience in Hong Kong to have a feel for how long you should ideally stay. This takes a bit of research and coming to understand what is available here in HK. As such, I would point you to the very good Discover Hong Kong Website and the Must See/Do in HK Top Question (FAQ) on the right hand side of this forum page.

I am providing some links below as well if you are using Mobile device and are unable to see the Top Questions. These have been helpful to TA members in the past for planning their time in the city and should give you a feel for what is available and how long you might want to stay.

Hong Kong Top Attractions (by area)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23948-What_to_…

Other BradJill Hong Kong Trip Lists

www.tripadvisor.com/members-golists/BradJill

In the end, there is plenty to keep you busy and occupied for 4 days in HK. Most of our guests come for 6-8 days and up to 10 days if they end up spending 2-3 days in Macau as well.

Hope this is useful and that you enjoy your time in HK.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 or 4 days in Hong Kong?

3 is already OK for a quick traveler but another day won't hurt. Where else are you going?

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 or 4 days in Hong Kong?

Hi, thanks for the very quick replies! I am planning to fly on to Langkawi for a few days chilling on the beach and then adding on Singapore as that is where I am flying back to London from. I am only planning a night in Singapore which gives me pretty much 2 full days due to flight times.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,038 posts
5,330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 or 4 days in Hong Kong?

Oh dear... Singapore is another city where you can stay quite busy for up to a week. World class zoo, botanical garden, orchid centre and fantastic recently opened attraction called Gardens by the Bay. See links if interested.

Singapore Top Attractions (by area)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i36764-Singapor…

Enjoy your travels

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 or 4 days in Hong Kong?

Hi, I am fine with 2 days in Singapore as only want to have a wander, do the night safari and go to raffles really. I am just trying to decide whether I can squeeze the things I want to do in Hong Kong into 2 days or if I need 3. I want to do Hong Kong island and the peak, Kowloon and the markets, po lin monastery and maybe the 10000 buddhas maybe? What do you think?

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 or 4 days in Hong Kong?

I would do 3 days in HK and maybe squeeze in something unique like the pink dolphin tour. Look upmHong Kong Dolphin watch. My husband and I did this a few years ago and LOVED it.

10,000 Buddhas is amazing and as it's out if the main city, there's other stuff you can do in Sha Tin. there's Che Kung Monastry which is very famous and nearby, they have the Bruce Lee exhibition.

Other things you can squeeze in is Stanley and Aberdeen perhaps, or maybe spend the extra day also visiting the outlying islands like Lamma Island or Cheung Chau which is easily accessed by ferry from Central or TST harbours.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,038 posts
5,330 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 or 4 days in Hong Kong?

>>>I want to do Hong Kong island and the peak, Kowloon and the markets, po lin monastery and maybe the 10000 buddhas maybe? What do you think?<<<

Have you done your research and written down what you want to do/see in Hong Kong? If you do this first, it will be easier for us to suggest how many days would be ideal for your trip to HK.

To be fair, we never suggest fewer than 4 nights for those not pressed for time, especially if you are arriving after a long flight and haven't been here before.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 or 4 days in Hong Kong?

I think so! We land on the Friday around 5pm so we won't be doing much that evening, maybe the light show from a nice bar! On the Saturday was planning to do Hong Kong island via the star ferry (prob going to stay in Kowloon) and wanted to do the peak, man mo temple, ding ding tram, Hong kong park, hsbc building and maybe Aberdeen harbour or Causeway Bay if its worth a look. The Sunday was planning Lantau Island to see the big buddha and po lin monastery and was going to take the cable car on the way. Maybe do a bit of Kowloon in the late afternoon evening, TST/chi lin nunnery/tai sin temple, or go to see the 10000 buddhas if worth a visit? The Monday morning was going to do the markets in Mongkok and then fly out mid afternoon. If this is too tight I may fly out early Tuesday morning, I assume the mtr starts nice and early!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 or 4 days in Hong Kong?

>> If this is too tight I may fly out early Tuesday morning, I assume the mtr starts nice and early! <<

Many of the MTR lines and Airport Express start at about 6 am.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,038 posts
5,330 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 or 4 days in Hong Kong?

>>>On the Saturday was planning to do Hong Kong island via the star ferry (prob going to stay in Kowloon) and wanted to do the peak, man mo temple, ding ding tram, Hong kong park, hsbc building and maybe Aberdeen harbour or Causeway Bay if its worth a look<<<

Sounds fine. Not too much for one day.

>>>>The Sunday was planning Lantau Island to see the big buddha and po lin monastery and was going to take the cable car on the way. Maybe do a bit of Kowloon in the late afternoon evening, TST/chi lin nunnery/tai sin temple, or go to see the 10000 buddhas if worth a visit? <<<<

You might run out of time if you attempt to combine Lantau Island (Big Buddha and Ngong Ping 360 cable car), Kowloon (Chi Lin Nunnery and Wong Tai Sin Temple) and Sha Tin (10,000 Buddha Monastery) in one day. Also bear in mind that you have to climb a rather nice size hill to get to the 10,000 Buddha Monastery. I think you'll do well to choose two of these areas and concentrate on the attractions there.

>>>The Monday morning was going to do the markets in Mongkok and then fly out mid afternoon.<<<

Keep in mind that the street markets don't really get up and running until late morning and are not ideal for visiting until after lunch in my opinion when all the venders and stall-keepers are setup and operating. See link for suggested visit to the Mongkok Markets.

Hong Kong’s Best Street Market Scene (Mongkok)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24685-Mongkok_…

Depending on your flight time, visiting this attraction on your last day might not be ideal.

What I might suggest is for you to see the Mongkok Markets on Sunday (Day 2) after you return from Lantau Island, seeing the Big Buddha and Ngong Ping 360 cable car. This way you can visit them in the afternoon.

Then, on Monday morning (Day 3) visit Chi Lin Nunnery/Nan Lian Gardens and Wong Tai Sin in the morning. They open rather early. You could potentially squeeze in a quick trip up to Sha Tin to see the 10,000 buddha monastery as well if you got an early enough start on your day.

This would be a better configuration of the activities you are interested in and would allow you to sightseeing more conveniently on your last day.

Hope this is helpful.