We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Others photographing my children?

Geelong, Victoria...
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Others photographing my children?

Just wondering if it's 'normal' for Chinese mainlanders (pretty sure they are, mostly all on tours with coloured, numbered badges) to want to take photos of my girls (ages 7 and 10, brown hair, not blonde)?

Started yesterday at Avenue of Stars when a group wanted our whole family in their shots, lots of people asked if they could have photos of our girls and then today at Ocean Park it was even worse, people lining up to try and snap pics with them. Almost like they were their very own tourist attraction.

My girls are so far being quite obliging but I can tell it's wearing thin!

TramOramic Sightseeing Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Smooth Ride Bike Tours Hong Kong
Night Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bike Tours
Myhktour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Hong Kong Private Guide
Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,927 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Others photographing my children?

It happens a lot even to me. You can just ignore them and keep walking. These people come from the countryside where they've never see blond hair before or even just caucasian.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,115 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Others photographing my children?

Well, as annoying as I can imagine it to be.... it's a compliment. That means your kid must be really beautiful and cute ! (Wink!)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,648 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Others photographing my children?

Regardless of your skin or hair colors, nobody want to have pictures taken with ugly people or have pictures of ugly people. For you, it is the burden of being beautiful. Once you get home, you will be a nobody again, nobody look at you, so you might as well enjoy the rare celebrity experience, that is what travel adventure is.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,648 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Others photographing my children?

Imagine if there a hitech tool that can make me look like Brad Pitt for a day, everywhere I go, there will be a riot of fans following me and want to have pictures taken with me, when I walk out of my hotel, there will be 500 cameras flashing. I'd pay $1,000 for this celebrity tour package just for the experience, plus $3,000 to turn my wife into Angelina Jolie for a day. Just imagine what will happen when we shop and tour HK as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, what a tour! We don't need to wait for a table anywhere.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Others photographing my children?

My sister had red hair when my family was briefly in South America. She was 3. Chaos :-).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Others photographing my children?

About 10 years ago when I was living in China, my 23 y.o. daughter came to visit me. We were in Guangzhou, but you'd think she was the first foreigner there. A cyclist crashed into a tree when he took his eyes off the road to look at her. Similarly, when we went to Yangshuo, people lined up to take photos, not just of her, but her father and I! They wanted family shots, and they wanted to be in them too.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,071 posts
5,937 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Others photographing my children?

Crikey.... 10+ years ago, many people used to ask to take pictures with me here, it was a rather common occurrence. Nowadays, it never happens? What does that say about my personal appearance? I fear the worst! ;-(

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Others photographing my children?

We visited China in 1998. Lots of people wanted me in their photos with them, and asked my husband to take the photo... guess it's no different to us wanting cute Chinese kids in our own photos. The whole thing is about the attraction of differentness.

Fukuoka, Japan
Level Contributor
84 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Others photographing my children?

Similar things happen in Japan with my son who is blond / blue. I'm glad I saw this post. I would try to ignore requests in the future. Maybe people think they are a celebrity when they see 1 person taking a picture so they start lining up.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Others photographing my children?

Make a sign and take it with you. "$10 per picture". They will gladly pay it. :) It can subsidize your trip.