We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peak walk

Glasgow
Level Contributor
310 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Peak walk

Not sure and finding it difficult to locate specific information about walking to the top of the Peak. Best route - how to find it - how long?

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Peak walk

You haven't said where you intend starting from but there are various routes with the most direct from Central being the steep and strenous walk up Old Peak Road to the Peak Tower and then continuing up Mount Austin Road to the summit of the Peak at Victoria Peak Garden which takes me about 65 mins from Central (Ice House Street) in cool weather. There are more gentle but longer routes via Hatton Road from near Hong Kong University and from Pok Fu Lam Road on the south side of HK Island via Pok Fu Lam Reservoir Road - all discussed in this previous thread;

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k4…

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peak walk

Indeed, OP's question is a little ambiguous.

You can start walking to the Peak from sea level, and follow ST's suggestion above.

Or take the Peak Tram up to the Peak Tower, and finish the final bit up Mount Austin Road.

Or you can start half way up, by taking bus 13 from Central to Kotewall Road. Then walk up Hatton Road which leads to Harlech Road and finally the Peak Tower.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,048 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peak walk

If you start from Central to walk up, note that sections of the walk is very steep, probably near 20% grade (for every 5 meters forward, you gain 1 meter in altitude) so take your time and bring something to drink.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peak walk

Just a clarification - you said "the top of The Peak"... not sure if you really meant the top of Victoria Peak. For many tourists, The Peak is not the top of Victoria Peak. Far from it. It is just the Upper Peak Tram Terminus, "The Peak" structure, Lion Pavillion, Sky Terrace (observation roof top), etc..

The true top of Victoria Peak is near Victoria Peak Garden that SolentTraveller mentioned in #1. It is about a 20 minute walk from the Upper Peak Tram Terminus. 90%+ of tourists never set foot there.

And the real "top of Victoria Peak" is an installation base for some communication towers and no visitors are allowed. This is the picture of it:

http://goo.gl/maps/kNaVi

One thing I don't like about walking up Old Peak Road to reach Upper Peak Tram Terminus - the foliage from the trees is so dense, there is no view of the Victoria Harbour to be seen until you get very close to the Tram Terminus. Exercise, it is good. Sight-seeing, not good.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,261 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Peak walk

You can actually walk right up to the gates of the compounds housing the communication masts above Victoria Peak Garden, which is just about as high as you can get on the Peak but, as Happyfeet says, entry is prohibited.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
310 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peak walk

Spot on - that's the kind of information I needed. Will be walking as far as I can go from Central. Thanks everyone.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
310 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peak walk

One last question - will be in HKG for one week around 18 October - what's the weather usually like. I remember about 10 years ago when I was last there that it was around 27 degrees, less humid and dry - is that the case?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,048 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peak walk

Mid-20's should be about right, and it should be pleasant and dry.

9. Re: Peak walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 06:21