We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typhoon Usagi

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,175 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Typhoon Usagi

Typhoon Usagi is currently heading straight for HK. It is projected to make landfall not too far away Sunday sometime. For visitors, that means whatever is on your plans for that day, you might need to re-think. This is truly a powerful storm so please stay safe.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typhoon Usagi

A useful link: www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/tc_pos_1326.htm

If you are planning on anything Sunday afternoon or Monday morning, this will affect you. From all reports it is going to one of the stronger typhoons.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Sammyfloyd beat me.

Usagi is currently a Cat. 5 storm, with sustained wind speeds near the centre of >200 km per hour.

IF it continues on its projected track, the sheer size of it means we are likely to feel the first effects tomorrow evening, and not wave goodbye to the trailing edge until sometime Tuesday. Notice the "if": a few years back Super-typhoon Megi threatened HK, but changed track abruptly and we hardly even felt it. But if Usagi does arrive ... well, I hope your travel insurance is in order!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typhoon Usagi

If you will be using a smartphone in Hong Kong, you can download the Hong Kong Observatory app to keep updated on the latest weather, and be informed when typhoon signals are hoisted.

Another useful one is the MTR Traffic News app, which gives advisory on service disruptions.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Good luck to all my friends in HK - from what I have read this could be a bad one, so baton down the hatches and try and stay safe.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,175 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Joint Typhoon Warning Center currently projects the storm to come as close as 6 nautical miles of HK Sunday evening right before midnight Monday. Yikes--signal #10 will likely be hoisted early Sunday evening, and we should still see signal #8 at least for the first part of Monday. If the track stays true, expect both Sunday and Monday to be completely washed out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Typhoon Usagi

I have a flight scheduled to leave at 7.05pm to Dubai on Sunday with Emirates. Does anyone know what their policy is in terms of rebooking due to weather conditions? I can't seem to find any information but Cathay Pacific has already put up rescheduling procedures. I don't know whether I should risk hoping that might flight will be ok or try to reschedule for a early morning flight on Sunday.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,818 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Typhoon Usagi

The folks over on the Air Travel forum might know more about the policies of particular airlines, but this is exactly the sort of reason travel insurance is a good idea ... not only for any rebooking charges, but also for an extra night (or two)'s accommodation...

If Usagi maintains its present strength and track, its huge diameter means that flights could already start being affected quite early on Sunday.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,175 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Normally, during severe weather, the airline will try to put you on the next available flight. However, that could mean anything from the same day to a couple of days later depending on when planes can resume operation. Unfortunately, at such times, plenty of patience might be required as you might need to hunker down at the airport for quite some time.

Get a hold of the Emirates reservation number in advance. Sometimes, calling works faster than the ground staff during these periods.

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Thanks, I'll give the Air Travel Forum a try and might phone Emirates up tomorrow morning. Accommodation is not a problem it's just that I need to be back in the UK on Tuesday.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,175 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Cathay Pacific and Dragon Air have announced all flight operations will be suspended after 6pm Sunday. I suspect other airlines will not be operating by then either. Should you need to rearrange your travel plans, do it as soon as possible.