We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typhoon Usagi

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,187 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Typhoon Usagi

Typhoon Usagi is currently heading straight for HK. It is projected to make landfall not too far away Sunday sometime. For visitors, that means whatever is on your plans for that day, you might need to re-think. This is truly a powerful storm so please stay safe.

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Asianteentraveller it depends what your airline says. Have you tried phoning them? They should have a 24/7 contact centre help line.

I visit Hong Kong a lot in the summers and have been stranded because of typhoons and storms a few times. If your flight is delayed for a period of time or cancelled and you're at the airport, then airlines tend to put you in hotels by the airport. However, there was one occassion, they were all full and we were taken to a hotel in Kowloon until we had news of the flights.

Another time I phoned from my dads house and they told me stay home until they called me of a departure date and time as there was no point in me going to the airport as I be sent away to a hotel or home until flights resumed.

This is based on my experience flying on either British Airways, Emirates and Cathay Pacific. Other airlines might deal with these situations differently.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Zany-max, very sensible to cancel the Macau trip! Am not sure offhand about the public pools; there aren't any big warning notices on the LCSD website, so I guess they're still open.

Happykath, yes, I think you are overreacting ;-) Not only does Hong Kong have excellent infrastructure - and building standards enforcement - for coping with typhoons, the observatory and other government departments have been spending the last day advising of risks and the precautions to take through all available media (with hourly updates).

Have heard some reports that winds are starting to pick up in more exposed areas, but so far in our sheltered little valley the treetops are hardly even stirring. Am sure that one or another of us regulars here will post an update as the day progresses!

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Thank you for the reply Kat_Orr. I have now been told that my flight will be delayed to tomorrow morning but I'm just worried that it still might be Typhoon Signal 8 or higher tomorrow morning so there won't be public transport. I was told by the airline that I could go to the airport tomorrow morning but I'm wondering whether I should stay overnight just before Signal 8 is hoisted.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Typhoon Usagi

@ Brightliner and Happyfeet, Hong Kong fortunately has excellent infrastructure, and the majority of buildings are much newer than those in New York. I think the likelihood of a storm paralyzing Hong Kong is quite remote, but spot flooding and mudslides may happen.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Glacierfed,

The buildings here were fine, but we did have massive power outages when electrical substations short circuited. Plus major flooding that disabled the MTA subway normally running 24 hours every day. Imagine losing the whole MTR, which is a fraction of the size. Tunnels and subway stations were completely filled with over 100 million gallons of seawater, right up to the ceiling and then some. Search on YouTube for "south ferry subway hurricane sandy" to see stairways and escalators leading underwater. South Ferry is newer than most MTR stations, only a few years old, and it will be out of service for the foreseeable future.

Glad to know HK is better prepared against problems like this.

Shenzhen, China
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Typhoon Usagi

What about the effects in Shenzen? Are the buildings and infrastructure as reliable as in HK?

Perth
10 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Typhoon Usagi

How is the weather looking in a weeks time?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Weather will be fine (hot and humid) in a week's time.

7-day forecast is here:

www.weather.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/fnd.htm

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Typhoon Usagi

About the swimming pool question, my building closes the swimming pool when there is a category 3 signal hoisted, so I imagine public pools could be the same.

Stay safe everyone, and hope all your travel plans aren't out of whack too much.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Shenzhen? It's unlikely that the kind of buildings that foreigners live in will be washed away, but there is certainly a greater tolerance of leaky roofs & windows, backed up drains and utilities failures there than here.