We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typhoon Usagi

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,326 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Typhoon Usagi

Typhoon Usagi is currently heading straight for HK. It is projected to make landfall not too far away Sunday sometime. For visitors, that means whatever is on your plans for that day, you might need to re-think. This is truly a powerful storm so please stay safe.

Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Yep stay safe everyone

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Hi All,

I am supposed to be flying into Hong Kong for a holiday on Thursday (26th Sep). It will be our first time in HK, and dealing with a Typhoon. Should we look at cancelling the trip? Just unsure of how much everything is affected with floods, landslides etc..

My thoughts are with everyone in the affected areas. Sounds scary

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,786 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Typhoon Usagi

The typhoon will be gone by Thursday, but there might be some lingering showers.

The way things look now, I think we will be heading back to work tomorrow morning!

Perth
10 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Typhoon Usagi

izzycharli Hong Kong bounces back pretty much straight away after a storm as its a normal thing in the summer months, so I would just pack and get ready for your holiday. As Glacierfed said, there may be the odd lingering shower, but it be safe and everything will most likely be open.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,782 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Don't worry, Izzycharli; I'll just echo the last couple of comments and say that HK is well prepared for typhoons. After Usagi moves away and weakens further, we'll simply clean up the mess it made of our gardens and be back to business as usual! Of course, those who live in the urban areas can skip the "clean up" bit and just return straight to work.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Typhoon only skirted HK, far overrated by the Meteorological bureau. I think the T8 warning will be the max for this one as most people initially thought a 10 is a definite. Usagi has taken a more northerly route meaning only brush through the northeastern part of HK only.

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
38. Re: Typhoon Usagi

I plan to go to Hong Kong beginning of this November. Will Typhoon Usagi last that long?

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Typhoon Usagi

Thank you all sooo much!!

You have provided more information than anywhere else!

From all communication we are getting here the whole of HK is in lockdown, all the supermarkets have been wiped out of food from people stocking up and bracing for the worst..

Glad to hear residents are ok!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Typhoon Usagi

#38: No, typhoon typically lasts only a few days to a week. Usagi has already made landfall. (Once landfalled [or is it landfell?], the storm will weaken and dissolve.)

There is no telling that there won't be another typhoon at that time though. But November is very late for typhoon season so chances are very small.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 04:59