We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Pollution

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria BC
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Air Pollution

We're thinking of a visit to HK around the beginning of March next year. Thinking hard about the air pollution issue though, and wondering how bad this might be at that time of year. Is the skyline often obscured? Is it enough to deter long walks, etc? What has been other's experience?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,263 posts
5,504 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Pollution

>> Is the skyline often obscured? <<<<

It is always difficult to say when it comes to the air pollution. Earlier in the year (January), it is regularly bad. Some days are brilliant and others simply not during the Spring time. For better odds of having a clear skyline, its best to come during the summer months. Unfortunately, that is when it is hot and there is higher potential for rain.

As for what you can expect in early March, Id say the odds of a superb day time views are not great but you'll probably get good viewings at least once if you are are around for 4+ days. The good news is that night viewings are usually nice, even when the air quality is poor.

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Pollution

The last few times I been in HK in September the pollution has been bad and visibility has been poor, but last week, I got lucky and it was completely clear.

I took this photo from TST just last week:

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/3xh5.jpg/

And just a few days later, the smog returned and was really bad.

It's a lottery really, but friends who live there have said that this year in comparison to last year is much improved and not been as polluted. Last year was real bad.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Pollution

OP: To answer one other aspect of your question: HK's air pollution is frequently bad enough (in the winter and spring) to obsure views, but only rarely bad enough to deter long walks, and that sort of thing -- at least for a normally-healthy adult. It's not like Beijing, where a short walk can leave you wheezing......

4. Re: Air Pollution

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:18