We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day to relax--where?

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
271 reviews
Save Topic
One day to relax--where?

First trip to Hong Kong; only four full days unfortunately.

At least one of those days, I'd like to spend in a quieter, more "local" area--on the sea,a beach town, maybe a pier, little restaurants/shops, nearby walk or easy hike, mostly local families (not lots of tourists--like me!).

Doable? Ideas? Lamma Island? Shek O? Sai Kung?Tai O (or is that now too commercialized?) Anywhere else? Feeling overwhelmed by choices and it's difficult to tell if descriptions are accurate. I'm staying in TST near a metro stop, but prefer at least part of the way on bus or ferry. Single, older female--no partying for me!

TramOramic Sightseeing Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Smooth Ride Bike Tours Hong Kong
Night Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bike Tours
Myhktour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Hong Kong Private Guide
Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: One day to relax--where?

In one of the photos, there is a row of houses--maybe concrete? Do you pass thess on the path? They look deserted.

Wonderful idea for a day trip!!!! thakns for the pictures too.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: One day to relax--where?

Yes, I often hike in Sai Kung Country Park, which has some spectacular scenery.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: One day to relax--where?

I wish i had more time . Alas, I dont think I will, in only 4 days, be able to treat myself to an entire day of just r and r. However, using the generous advice here, I have decided on a day on:

Lantau, including a walk from Discovery Bay to Mui Wo or vice versa, Tai O, and Ngong Ping (the latter not "relxing"but apparently a must-see if on Lanyau Island).

A day getting off at Diamond Hill MTR, seeing the garden and nunnery, then bus to Sai Kung for the town area and then to some of the nearby areas on the Country Park trail.

There are other areas and islands i'd love to visit, but it will have to wait until the next time. Based on waht i read, this may be my first trip there, but it wont be the last!

East Sussex
Level Contributor
16 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: One day to relax--where?

How about visiting the floating population at Aberdeen, it's very interesting, you could enjoy a relaxing meal away from the crowds on board the 'Floating Jumbo Restaurant'. Please let me know how you get on, if you decide on this option.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,478 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: One day to relax--where?

Reading OP's post, I don't think the Jumbo is quite what she has in mind! And btw, last time I went there I got food poisoning. And it WAS the last time, for sure..........

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: One day to relax--where?

Agreed, my fellow Mellor. I hadnt intended to go there at all to ear.

Pearly, I thank you for taking the time to post your suggestion. I will probably go to Aberdeen on the day i go to The Peak--but will skip Jumbo

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,663 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: One day to relax--where?

Knowing Hong Kong if I want to get away from it all I find booking a top 5* hotel which offers all the trimmings does the trick for me... Hong Kong IMO is always busy anywhere you go... although I do also like Stanley & Lamma Island.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,478 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: One day to relax--where?

"....booking a top 5* hotel which offers all the trimmings does the trick for me...."

.....but a quiet stroll on Lamma is a whole lot cheaper :-)

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: One day to relax--where?

hah, i meant not to eat (not "ear") at the Jumbo.

LOL, Ellemay, re the 5 star hotel A bit above my budget too, so i gotta settle for a nice walk and cheap drink!

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: One day to relax--where?

Just wanted to let everyone know about the "r adn R" part of the trip.

First--I LOVE HONG KONG!!! Looking forward to a return.

I went to Sai Kung on a Saturdya. GREAT fun, sort of farmers' market at the town's costal promendade, but arrived too late for a hike. I enjoyed the town a lot, but it was most definitely not peaceful or serene on a weekend.! No matter--I am so glad I went, as i loved the ennergy there!

I loved Stanley. Got away from the market asap, thentrolled along the coast to the little temple built into the rock. No ne else on the path--very lovey and peacerful. Then i went to the new "town square" area, sat outside, went into Starbucks, and watched the world go by. Wonderful!!

My fvorite "laid back" day was at Tai O. I'd expectred tit to be hectic with busloads of other tourists (like me) after their trip to Big Buddha. But..no! I took the public bus there, loved the ride, walked all the way on the pietr to the far end of town (maybe a different village?) back to the central market area, then out to the converted building that is now the hotel. Had tea there. Along the way, I stopped at one of the local cafes, met a few expats, got soy pudding. No other tourists in sight, amazingly enough. After several wonderful hours, took public bus to Mui Wo and then the ferry to Central, then ferry to TST. A WONDERFUL and relaxing day.

Thanks again for your help and suggestins, and hopefully my experience will be of use to someone else.