We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Won a trip to Hong Kong. Need advice on a side trip

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Won a trip to Hong Kong. Need advice on a side trip

I am VERY lucky to have won a luxurious trip from Australia to Hong Kong, flying business class and staying in an absolutely gorgeous, luxury hotel. My husband and I will be travelling in late Feb-early March (probably - dates TBC), and taking our two year old son, and my mother.

We had already booked time off work in June for our annual holiday (vacation), and I think this trip will now replace that one. I hadn't booked anything for June, but after an exhausting holiday this year, I was looking for somewhere all-inclusive, with a kids club, so that my son could be entertained for the short periods of time we wanted to do something on our own/more 'adult' - eg. jet-skiing and other water sports he can't do, etc.

So now that we've won four nights in the Four Seasons, I was thinking of adding a week or so onto our trip, and going somewhere from Hong Kong, to 'relax' for a while, rather than flying straight home again.

I've been to Malaysia and Thailand, and would like to go somewhere new... and our budget is going to be fairly modest (I'd budget no more than $1500 for this extra week). I really have no idea where to start.

Can anyone suggest a location, possibly a beach (but not necessarily), preferably with an all-inclusive meal package, kids club, lots of water-based activities, where we can basically put our feet up and totally relax for 4-7 days?

Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Edited: 03 October 2013, 05:32
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Won a trip to Hong Kong. Need advice on a side trip

Congrats on the prize! That sounds amazing! :)

Perhaps, consider beaches in Philippines or Vietnam. That won't be too long in terms of flights, but I'm not sure when it comes to exactly what kind of resorts you can get with your budget range (as it depends on what is inclusive in your $1500 budget range - i.e. does that include flights, accommodation, dining, etc. or just accommodation?).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Won a trip to Hong Kong. Need advice on a side trip

Thank you, will do. The AU$1500-ish needs to really include everything, as I had budgeted AU$4000 for our entire holiday in June, and was going to go somewhere within Australia, where we didn't have to fly far (if at all), and therefore spend pretty much all that money on the resort package.

Now, we'll have to pay for our son and my mum to travel with us - and depending what the airline/hotel allow, it could already cost us an extra AU$2000+... therefore, I really only have $1500 left if I don't want to go over my original intended budget!

Will definitely look at the Philippines and Vietnam. Thank you!!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,049 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Won a trip to Hong Kong. Need advice on a side trip

Also look into Kota Kinabalu. There are direct flights from HK, some nice luxury hotels there. Further, have a look at what Macau has to offer. Some of the luxury hotels there have very impressive pool areas and nice spa options. Can make a rather relaxing destination for 2-3 days as well.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Won a trip to Hong Kong. Need advice on a side trip

Thanks so much.

When we were in Malaysia last year, I considered a trip to Kota Kinabalu, and I can't remember exactly why now, but after doing a lot of reading, I discounted it. I think there may have been a travel warning about kidnappings or something (not something I want to risk now that I am a mother)...

Had a brief look at Macau this morning, but will look into it further. Thank you so much for your advice.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Won a trip to Hong Kong. Need advice on a side trip

G'day,

how about Bali?

As it will be late or early March- fine, not befalling on Nyepi(which next year will only be on March 31).

The issue now is FS in HK, doubt will allow four in a room-so you may require to get another room in FS for mum,where for that month of travel, we are looking at around AUD540/night,which for four night = AUD2160 already, unless your prize accommodates you in their Grand suite,then being a corner and their floor plan, they might allow 3 adults and your little kid.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Won a trip to Hong Kong. Need advice on a side trip

That's an interesting option... although Bali is getting a little on the 'long flight' side of things... we'll have to fly back to HK to fly home...

The prize listed an Executive Suite, but as there are no suites with that exact name, I have to wait for my prize pack to arrive, to see which exact suite it is. I looked into an adjoining room too, and when I saw the price, I had a small heart attack. haha

If we can exchange our business class flights for 4 x economy flights, then I could look at paying for an extra, adjoining room for mum. If not, and they won't allow four of us in the room, we're in trouble!

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,954 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Won a trip to Hong Kong. Need advice on a side trip

Look at Boracay in Philippines but I don't know if there are all-inclusives there. And I don't know if hotels have a service to look after children. You can post in the Philippine forums if you are interested.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,049 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Won a trip to Hong Kong. Need advice on a side trip

Boracay and Bali are both well worth looking into.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Won a trip to Hong Kong. Need advice on a side trip

Boracay is nicer than Bali but Bali is probably easier to get to. I think to get to Boracay you fly into Manilla then another flight to Boracay then land travel then a short ferry trip.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,954 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Won a trip to Hong Kong. Need advice on a side trip

There are flights from Hong Kong to Kalibo but it's only 2x a week via Cebu Pacific.

cebupacificair.com/Flight%20Schedule/…29.pdf