We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Market shopping for teenage boys

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Market shopping for teenage boys

Hubby & I are off to Hong Kong in January 2014, taking our two teen boys and trying to sort a bit of a clothing budget for them. They want to stock up on good quality t-shirts (knock off brands like Hurley, Billabong, Quick Silver etc) , shorts and maybe joggers. If anyone has been over lately and can give me some idea on roughly what to expect price wise it would be greatly appreciated

Brisbane
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Market shopping for teenage boys

Hi

Try the Ladies Market, lots of t-shirts but I don't recall seeing Quicksilver etc. For joggers try Fa Yuen St, otherwise known as Sneaker St. Not sure cost but cheaper than Oz. We have bought Vans and other skate shoes in Shenzhen for last 3 years. Mine have lasted 2 years, not so long on my 14 yr old. Basic Vans are around the $20 mark, then go up depending what you choose. Just remember these are not authentic but for that price does it matter. We also found a skate shop at Stanley Plaza that seeks all the authentic brands. T-shirts, shoes etc. Cheaper than home but not by a huge amount. Shop is called Island Wake. Hope this helps.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,952 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Market shopping for teenage boys

I haven't seen good/decent quality knock-off shirts. They will just be disappointed. I'd rather buy from Bossini or Giordano.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,378 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Market shopping for teenage boys

Expect such shirts not to last through too many washes.

London
Level Contributor
414 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Market shopping for teenage boys

As post #2 has mentioned lots of affordable teenage boys clothes at Bossini or Giordano (Gap style clothes) or Uniqlo.

If the sales are on stick to Fa Yuen Street for authentic sportswear, if not on sale go to Citygate Outlet Tung Chung MTR they have a Quicksliver store as well as other well known brands.

If you want knock off brands then Ladies market Tung Choi Street, Temple (night market) Street or Stanley market are the places to go.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,952 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Market shopping for teenage boys

Oh yeah Uniqlo too. How can I forget that.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Market shopping for teenage boys

Thanks everyone for your input. I realize the quality of the knock off t-shirts are really inferior to the real thing, however with 13 & 15 year olds they want a great variety that honestly they grow out of quicker than they can wear out so, if cheap enough, it works for me. We actually purchased heaps of them from K.L two years ago and they were actually better quality than the real thing and at Aud $4 each I'm not complaining, these have been passed on to younger kids and still wearing fine. Anyway thanks all for the great advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Market shopping for teenage boys

Hi there

I'm with Justin L. You can get some amazing deals at local brands like Bossini, Giordano and U2.

But if it is brands your kids wants with visible labels, then Sneaker Street and Ladies Market will have loads of 'brand' name goods to buy. Although quality isn't the best, I have in the past found some great bargains there that have outlasted some of my shop bought items.

Recently I went to Stanley Market and bought some Hong Kong rugby polo shirts, couldn't believe the quality of them, they were excellent, so that's another option for for you. Stanley Market is more expensive and you get less bargaining power than the markets in Mong Kok but I think it's worth it for the better merchandise.

There are also Quiksilver stores in Hong Kong too. I went into one at New Town Plaza in Sha Tin. Not sure what the prices are like in the Gold Coast, but they are certainly cheaper in HK than in London!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Market shopping for teenage boys

Thanks for the advice, here on the Gold Coast we would pay approx $20.00 to $25.00 in a "good sale" for a Quicksilver/Billabong etc T.shirt and when not on sale generally about $50 plus per shirt. No wonder we need to source products oversea's lol!! Thanks again.

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
29 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Market shopping for teenage boys

We have just returned from HK . We have 4 kids aged 10 to 23 and they all preferred the clothes in temple st market than ladies market . They seemed better made on the whole , more choice and the vendors were less aggressive . My oldest bought authentic converse boots at a good price and nike stuff from a mall but the youngers preferred the cheap cheap stuff. Also a H and M in langham place mall that has trendy uk style stuff at good prices.

10. Re: Market shopping for teenage boys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 05:17