We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to visit the peak during a sunday

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
best time to visit the peak during a sunday

Will be visiting Hong Kong in 1 or 2 weeks time and heard that the Victoria peak is a must go, heard that the best way to travel up is by the peak tram. The only day i'm free to travel up the peak is on a Sunday. i would like to know what is the best time to go up the peak and avoiding the queues, I heard that the octopus card will save me some time. How is that so?

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to visit the peak during a sunday

Sunday is busiest day of the week at the Peak and there are often special events taking place. Unless you take the Peak Tram very early in the morning it's likely that you will have to queue at any time and one-hour waits are not uncommon, although its almost impossible to predict and factors such as weather can have an effect on visitor numbers to the Peak.

Having Octopus Card is unlikely to save you much queueing. It was once the case that you could avoid the ticket office queue and walk straight up to the platform barriers with Octopus Card but nowadays, with the ever increasing number of mainland tourists, as soon as queues start to build at the ticket office, temporary barriers are put in place and Octopus Card holders have to join the same queue as everyone else;

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157633068773133

If you intend visiting Madame Tussaud's at the Peak you can avoid the main queue by purchasing Madame Tussaud's + Peak Tram Combo tickets from the separate Madame Tussaud's ticket office at the Lower Peak Tram Terminus, which allow you straight through to the platform barriers.

Big Bus Tour Premium and Deluxe Tour ticket holders also get priority access to the Peak Tram.

Edited: 20 October 2013, 12:29
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to visit the peak during a sunday

Normally i bring my tourist friends up in the Peak twice a day, early morning(after that we will proceed for an easy hike around the Peak), we then descend and up again at dusk to enjoy the early night view. Both views should not be missed by tourists. Unfortunately Sunday is extremely crowded

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time to visit the peak during a sunday

I just returned this morning to my country after a trip to HK and Japan. I visited peak on a Saturday and oceanpark on a Sunday. You will spend most of the time waiting in loooong queues. If possible avoid HK on weekends.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time to visit the peak during a sunday

Thanks for all the help guys! I was planning to visit the Lantau island and big buddha statue on a monday with some of my friends living in Hong Kong. But after reading about the long queues I was able to persuade my friends to go visit the Lantau island during the Sunday.

Are there usually queues for the peak tram during a monday? I really want to visit the peak and experience the two views so I may be going up during the mid afternoon. Are there queues for the cable car at Lantau island during sunday?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,622 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time to visit the peak during a sunday

Big-OO,

I think the more important thing to consider is air quality and sky conditions, which is never guaranteed here. If the sky is clear, I'd make this the priority and go then. You would hate it if you avoided a beautiful day due to queues and then tried to go the next day (Monday) to find that you couldn't see more than 100 meters in front of you due to bad air quality. I feel bad for visitors that come on tightly fit itineraries suffer from this problem.

However, that said the sky conditions make a big difference in the Lantau Island experience, particularly if you intend to ride the Ngong Ping 360 cable car, as well.

Hopefully air quality will be satisfactory during the period of your stay here in HK.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best time to visit the peak during a sunday

You could miss the tram queues by taking the number 15 bus up to the Peak, then get the tram back down. The tram queues don't seem to be so bad for the journey down.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,700 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best time to visit the peak during a sunday

On Sundays and holidays, Peak Trams are ok very early in the morning. Once it gets past 10am or so, day trippers and tourists all arrive, thus making The Peak not too pleasant of a place to hang out.

The same thing is true for Big Buddha if you intend to take Ngong Ping cable car. Get there around 15 minutes before the opening to line up. It could save you much more time.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best time to visit the peak during a sunday

You can also avoid big Big Buddah queues by buying a ticket for a Crystal Cabin in advance. These cost a fair bit more than standard tickets so a lot less people use them, you won't need to wait for long to get one. Buying a ticket in advance means that you don't have to queue for the ticket office either.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best time to visit the peak during a sunday

Thanks everyone! I will first consider on the weather conditions on that day and decide where will i be heading. I'll be staying somewhere at Kowloon so i don't think i will be able to reach the station by 10am. I may also consider to take bus 15 as advised to the peak and take the tram down from the peak. May i know what is the estimated travel time for bus 15 from the tram station to the peak?

As for the Lantau Island trip, i will consider taking the crystal cabin as i have not been into a cable car with transparent bottom. Just hoping that the weather will be good when i arrive in Hong Kong!!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best time to visit the peak during a sunday

>> I may also consider to take bus 15 as advised to the peak and take the tram down from the peak. May i know what is the estimated travel time for bus 15 from the tram station to the peak? <<

Big-OO:

Note that if you take bus 15, you don't take it from the Tram Station. You board bus 15 either at Central, or at Admiralty MTR Station Exit C1. Travel time maybe 40 to 50 minutes.

If you don't care about sitting on the upperdeck on a bus to observe views along the way but just want to reach the Peak fast, consider taking a taxi. Or taking green minibus #1. They travel on Magazine Gap Road and go straight up to The Peak. Bus 15 goes along Wan Chai to pick up more passengers, and sometimes there are congestions along Queens Road East.